“Relax and Enjoy”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Murrells Inlet
Rougemont, North Carolina
“Relax and Enjoy”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you want a vacation where you have a little bit of everything, this is your place. There's the beach just a short drive away, outlets and shopping to satisfy even the most enthusiastic of shoppers, shows for every age, and a resort where you can golf, swim, or just lay back and let the world go by. If you haven't been to Ellington, you've missed something special.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed in Phase I (3 bedroom) of this property and have to say that we were extremely disappointed. I usually take the more severe ratings on trip advisor with a grain of salt, but when it comes to this property I would actually tend to believe them more than not. We exchanged timeshare points to stay here and I would not encourage anybody else to do the same. For what is paid in annual maintenance fees for our timeshare, much more was definetely expected than what we received here. Nothing was outrageous enough to report to the office, because much of what we experienced is exactly what has been reported on tripadvisor and it is apparent that the owners really do not care too much. Most of my complaints are cosmetic, which I usually do not care about when I stay at a hotel, but when you are staying at a "resort" a higher level of comfort is expected in my opinion. We did not see any bed bugs or cockroaches, but there are quite a few palmetto bugs outside. This place is more of a well designed motel than a hotel as all the doors to the rooms are on the outside. The walls were extremely gross in the unit, some places looking like something was spilled on the walls and not cleaned up and other places where there was missing/chipped paint. The clothes dryer did not work well and usually took us 3 cycles just to dry a small load. The beds did not have fitted sheets on the mattresses, but flat sheets. One bedroom smelled like poop, literally! The dishwasher did not work hardly at all and kitchen utensils are lacking. The shower did not drain well and we often found ourselves standing in 4 inches of water by the time our shower was over (there were two other showers, so not a big deal). The resort ameneties are only available when the activity director is in the office (9:30 am - 4:30 pm) so if you want to rent a bike, movie, crab nets, etc. you have to get them during her office hours because nobody else has a key to the office. The pools are clean, large and warm, which was really nice on the days we just wanted to hang around the "resort". Phase II is supposed to be much nicer and I am guessing that the better reviews are coming from those units. If you are planning on going here and find yourself being booked in Phase I, I would recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank IrishIWereOnVaca
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here July 2012 on an exchange through Intervel International (II). I was told by II this is one of our lesser properties. OMG, this place should be removed from any exchnage options or come with a warning. Kitchen and bathroom in phase 1 ruled by cockroaches. Coach is ancient and uncomfortable. Furniture scratched, TV -poor pictue and old. Parking designed so first floor porch enjoys exhaust from the parked cars. Walls are so thin that the living roomTV next door could be heard clearly in the bedroom. Murrells Inlet is wonderful, just stay away from Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East.

Room Tip: Stay in phase 2 or don't go
4 Thank Traveler P
Greenwich, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just came back after a week long stay. Family of 5. We had a 2 bedroom and with the pullout sofa it worked out great. We used all the pools, there is a bar near the outdoor pool and putting area. Husband and son played golf twice at the resort. Easy to get around the area. About 15-20 min drive to Broadway at the Beach. Murrells Inlet was very nice area. Short drive to the beach. Grocery stores and other shopping near by. Away from the congestion of Myrtle Beach. There is a indoor pool and hot tub and right outside is a smaller outdoor pool. Larger pool in Phase I with a hot tub. We walked between the 2, totally fine. We had to buy some sponges and potholders. The dish soap stunk and I brought some dishwasher tabs with us b/c we cooked a lot in the room. Beds comfy and overall pretty clean. My family loved it.

3 Thank Amy B
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This was my family's first vacation together in 20 years. I can guarantee that it wont be another 20 years because my family absolutely loves this place. From the pool, to the activities, to the cleanliness of the resort, this was a GREAT place to stay.

3 Thank Vance W
texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the Ellington Phase Ii for a week, trading thru Interval International. We were able to trade our LV lock-off for a 2-bedroom over July 4th week-end. Our unit also had THREE bathrooms, and a washer/dryer in our unit. Our screened-in porch in the back looked directly onto the putting green and golf course. My husband played twice, and really enjoyed it. We were able to use the putting green, both indoor and outdoor pools, and the courtyard grills. My only advice would be to try to get an upstairs unit. There is not alot of insulation between rooms, particularly between floors! Despite that, I would highly recommend. We were even able to stand in te parking lot and enjoy MI fireworks, and beat the crowd!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank suave1983
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We stayed in Phase I of this resort. We had a 1 year old with us who was not walking and were given an upstairs unit. The stairs going down are IN the unit so the baby could've fallen down the stairs easily. We asked to switch rooms, they said they had nothing. They said they would bring over a baby gate and it took me THREE phone calls over the next 24 hours to finally get one.

The pools were dirty and was a big swamp of sunscreen and dried dead grass. And parking for Phase I SUCKED!

I have bed bug bites on my arms. I slept in ALL Of the beds so I'm not sure which one I got it from. They showed up as we were leaving the resort.

The only redeeming thing about the place was the activity director who was extremely nice.

Room Tip: Phase II looked MUCH nicer. If possible get a room from Phase II
4 Thank Dana C
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Plantation Resort
Plantation Resort
#2 of 5 in Surfside Beach

Been to Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East? Share your experiences!