“Things Aren't What They Were”

Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Murrells Inlet
Wilmington, NC
“Things Aren't What They Were”
Reviewed December 2, 2007

We stayed at this resort in April/May of 2007 and it was a fantastic experience...great staff, great accommodations...everything was terrific. So we booked again for Nov/Dec (2 weeks) and found things are just not the same: there was no internet (wifi) available in our building and in most of the resort...the staff knew this and were apologetic, but nothing was done...
Also, the housekeeping was a bit disappointing. Came back to our condo to find the dirty towels in a pile on the floor of the living room...and when I called housekeeping, they told me to just put them outside the door. OK, but I think the towels should not have been left in the first place!
Check out this resort carefully before you reserve it...since it has been purchased by Festiva Resorts, I don't feel that it has the same high standards expected of other resorts.
BTW, we used Interval to reserve this resort.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — no internet service except in the cafe.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Maryland
Reviewed September 27, 2007

This resort is in a nice location - far enough away from Myrtle Beach for peace and quiet, close enough for plenty of entertainment. The resort is nice, but not a 5-star. Our family, (me, my wife, and two kids - ages 3 and 1), stayed here for a week. We had a two bed, two bath unit. The unit looked exactly as it did on the website. We exchanged via Interval Intl as we own at a truly 5-star resort in Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico. The reasons I don't believe Ellington deserves a 5-star rating are:

1) very dirty under and behind furniture (dirt, dust, food, etc.)
2) very, very small bath in the master bedroom
3) very loud a/c unit immediately outside other bedroom
4) no working Internet...no ETA of when it would be fixed
5) at least half the lounge chairs at the pool were broken
6) vinyl flooring that looks like hardwood very poorly installed
7) terrible pillows on beds

Maybe I am spoiled by my home resort but Ellington is just not a 5-star. There were some nice features:

1) screened porch
2) waher/dryer in unit
3) location - near Murrell's Inlet, Pawley's island, and Mrytle Beach
4) nice pools and playground for kids
5) good water pressure, good water temperature in bathrooms
6) free pass to Huntington Beach State Park

They also try to get you to attend their sales pitch. They say it is an owner's review and they do it as a way of keeping their 5-star rating with II. We were asked to schedule attendance 1) when I checked in, 2) repeatedly through voice mails left on the unit phone, 3) in person when we were loading the kids in the van one morning, and 4) via phone when i was dumb enough to answer it. I told them every time that this was simply not feasible with the kids. Unfortunately, it takes dozens of times of telling them no for them to get the point. We did not attend. If I didn't have the kids along, we would have so I could have told them why they do not deserve a 5-star rating.

Overall, our stay was pleasant and we had a nice relaxing time with the kids...playing in the pool, outlet shopping, trying different restaurants. The resort is OK but if you go expecting a 5-star, premium resort - you will be disappointed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank koppsh
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My husband and I returned yesterday (9/15/2007) from Wachesaw Plantation East. I was nervous about staying there because of some of the reviews I had read and even took a bag of cleaning supplies "just in case". The resort absolutely exceeded our expectations in every way. We own at Hyatt Vacation Club so we're kind of picky. I agree that the quality of the resort can make or break a vacation. One trick I heard before we booked was to make sure you get a second floor unit. Some of the original units have laminate wood floors and evidently can cause some noise to the ground floor tenants. Our unit was huge and could not have been cleaner. The two bedroom units have an in-unit washer and dryer that we used on a daily basis since my husband used the fitness facilities. From check in to check out, everyone was very accommodating. Some of the people who post reviews get a little hysterical about things that just don't matter. If they want "five star" service with turn down and white glove treatment, then they should cough up the cash and stay at the Omni or Park Hyatt hotel!! For a two bedroom condo with a full kitchen and washer and dryer in-unit, I'd prefer to be left to cater to myself.

• Liked — The spaciousness and cleanliness of the unit.
  • Disliked — If you're expecting to be on the beach, it's not. Huntington Beach State Park is about 3 mi away. They give you a free pass for the week.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MRMARBLES
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed September 15, 2007

Well, what can I say? I booked this resort because of it's 5 star rating (joke) and then starting looking at the reviews. I was a bit nervous driving there wondering what I would find, but kept my attitude positive and told myself I'd be happy as long as things were clean etc. After checking in, which went smooth for the most part, except that I was a bit skeptical when they told me they wanted us to complete a survey which would help them keep their five star rating, we made our way to our unit. I had read that this survey was actually a time share "sales pitch". Now, I own my own timeshare, why would I want to but another one? This wasn't a free 3 day/2 night getaway in which you had to sit through that nonsense. I paid for this trip! I said "we'll be real busy this week, but would call them when I had the time." Well, wouldn't you know it, they called every morning (early) to see if that day was good. So we got to our room, and found two plastic bags on the porch. One looked like trash, the other just a small white bag. I saw a maintenance worker as we were unloading our belongs and mentioned this to him. He said he would be right over to check on it. Three days later, they both were still sitting there. Later as we were doing dishes in the kitchen, we realized we did not have any towels to dry the dishes off with. I decided to peak in the little white bag and wouldn't you kow it - potholders and dish towels. I couldn't even tell if they were clean or dirty, but there they were, on the porch for days. The other bag was still there and I believe there were bath towels in that, but I never actually opend it. (there were bath towels in the bathroom). That bag remained there all week, even after the cleaning staff came over twice throughout the week. I guess the staff is too busy to actually put those things in the unit for your before you show up, they just leave them on the porch....The furniture was just disgusting to sit on. Besides the fact that it was uncomfortable, it was dirty and smelly. The TV in the bedroom had a green circle about the size of a lemon burned into the tube - so no matter what you watched, someone's face or body was green. The first night we were there, I took a walk to the pool and noticed that the hot tub was green -- ooh very inviting -- There is a breezeway to get to the rear of the building and we had to take that to get to our room each day. People just left their trash outside in that breezeway and it took days for the staff to pick it up. It was disgusting. One of the worst parts is that the walls are as thin as paper. We had a family with small children staying in the room next to us. Now they were not at all obnoxious or causing a problem, however, we heard EVERY word they said. At 6:30 in the morning (every morning) their kids were up running around and screaming. Of course, we were up as well....... We could also hear every step that our neighbors upstairs took. As far as the internet access goes, well that is a whole other story. First of all, why would any resort charge extra for that. I can stay at a $50 a night Budget in and get free wireless access, but I have to pay for it hear - that is stupid. But not as stupid as the fact that you can't even access it in certian parts of the building we were in, including our room. All the front desk could say is that they did not manage that, we had to talk to the outside party who handles it. I wanted it to quickly check weather, directions, etc. I wasn't there to spend hours on the phone with "tech support". So internet access didn't really happen that week. Well, needless to say, one of these mornings that the front desk called to ask us about the "survey" I said I would that morning mainly becuase I wanted to tell them everything I have put in this review. They of course tried to sell us the time share. Guess what my answer was? What I found out is that if I was an owner with "FESTIVA RESORTS" we would have been put in one of the "NICE" units - which propably are 5 star - but since we just traded into this resort, we were treated like crap and put into the dirty, small, ugly, uncomfortable, smelly, untouched units. Don't you think they would realize that if they want to sell something, they should entice you with that, and not the trash - if you want to sell someone a Mercedes, you don't have them test drive a Yugo and tell them that the Mercedes will be better if they simply just buy it.

Well, we weren't the only one's there that week disappointed. We talked to others that felt the same. I met a couple in the pool our last night there who came down from Boston - ironically who booked the resort because it was a five star and then read the reviews. Where have I heard that before? To them, I'll say - I hope your last couple days there got better and you were able to make the best deicison for you.

Whatever you do - stay away from this resort. There are plenty of resorts in the Myrtle Beach area - or better yet, go down to Hilton Head, it is much nicer down there anyway.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Murrells Inlet hotels

audubon,pa.
Reviewed September 1, 2007

We stayed at the Ellington resort for the first time and had a good time. If I had to , I would give it a 4 star rating. Overall the location was very good, convenient to anywhere you want to go. Check in , and out were easy and we arrived by 1:00 and our room was ready for us. The hallway was filthy from the cleaning staff , but I called about it and they quickly fixed the problems. I would say our room was just as pictured. The only problem is it's very noisy ,if you have a first floor room. We called the people above us elephants who never slept. The room was clean and they do give you enough clean towels and stop in and freshen up twice during our week stay. The pool was fine, the water was warm , I could always find a seat and towels were provided. South Carolina is very warm in the summer, so the pool was very sunny and hot. My favorite part about the stay was the great staff members. Marilyn the activities coordinator was great!!! she always kept the girls busy with fun crafts , inexpensive to do but took some time. This gave my girls something to look forward to every day, and me a little break . We even took hula lessons for over an hour which were so much fun. The golf course is great, great deals, lessons and instructors. Ritchie was very nice and was always friendly. Overall we would go back again. Hope this helped!!!

• Liked — the location and golf course
  • Disliked — noisy room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank rkckham
south carolina
Reviewed August 13, 2007

the tvs in our bedrooms did not work nor did some of the lights and the whole place was dirty and in need of a good clean. There were also bugs! When you call the front desk there is no reply and when we did eventually get hold of someone they said their were no managers there at the weekend so they couldnt do anything until monday. We were only staying two nights friday and saturday so that was no good to us!

When we went to check on sunday morning we highlighted these problems and were told that they could not do anything as they had no authorisation to reduce rates. They demanded we settle the fee for our room and they gave us a card with a managers number on and promised someone would call us which of course they have not done.

The attitude of the staff is appalling and noone is accountable for anything that happens there. Its a shame as if they spent some money cleaning and servicing the appartments it would be a nice place to stay at but at present it is nearer 2 star than 5 star.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — their bad attitude
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Milton, West Virginia
Reviewed July 2, 2007

We stayed at the Ellington Resort the last week of June 2007.
My husband enjoyed playing golf on their golf course. Our
room was in need of a major upgrade. The furniture was worn
and very scratched up. We heard 3 children upstairs running
across the room. There needs to be better construction so
you can't hear all of your neighbors conversation.
Beware of the Festiva promotion, I was called three times
before I arrived to offer me some attraction tickets and $50.00
dinner voucher for $49.50 if I listen to a timeshare presentation.
The conceirge lady wasn't very cooperative so I had to call the
Festiva promotion back and make sure that I got what I was
promised.
The best thing about our vacation was the location we were
close to BrookGreen Gardens, Huntington Beach State Park,
Murrells Inlet and Myrtle Beach.
I do agree with other reviews the Ellington Resort is not
a five star resort but maybe a three star status.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Murrells Inlet
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
Oceanfront Litchfield Inn
#1 of 6 in Pawleys Island
Holiday Inn Express Murrells Inlet

Been to Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East? Share your experiences!