“Unique Myrtle Beach Experience”

Plantation River Tours
Ranked #8 of 21 Tours in Murrells Inlet
Reviewed July 23, 2012

If you're looking for something different, the Plantation River Tours Waccamaw River Airboat tour is worth checking out. The ride is reasonably tame and not really a "thrill" ride, but it's a fun way to see a part of the Myrtle Beach area that most visitors never see. The boat is comfortable, and the captain is friendly and knowledgeable. My wife was worried about getting wet, but it's a very dry boat ride. Life jackets and hearing protection were provided.

We saw alligators, osprey and other river birds, as well as portions of old rice plantations. I never thought an airboat ride could be described as "peaceful", but the Waccamaw River is a beautiful place, and when the captain turned off the motor in some of the backwater areas, you couldn't hear any sounds except for birds. It was a very pleasant contrast to all the noise and activity in most of the Myrtle Beach attractions. At $40 each, the one hour ride is pricey, but there are discounts for kids, and there's really nothing else around Myrtle Beach that compares to it. I'd gladly recommend the tour to friends.

Tip: Scheduling your airboat tour to coincide with high tide in the vicinity of the marina will open up access to more of the flooded grassy areas and ricefields for the boat's captain. At lower tides, the boat is limited to the river and creek channels.

1  Thank PawleysDude
There are newer reviews for Plantation River Tours

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Nice calming waters which allowed for a beautiful scentic tour. We did not get to see any animals except for a few birds. Wouldn't recommend doing this tour in the extreme heat. The first half of the tour was full of history, but on the loop back we passed the same things so it was a bit slow. Good way to escape all the traffic on the beach.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My husband and father and I went on the Waccamaw Lady tour on Wednesday 7/11/12. We had no trouble finding the location and there is a nice cool area indoors to wait until loading time. The boat is comfortable enough but be prepared to sweat because its summer and the boat isnt always moving fast enough to create a breeze. We were able to see some wild life and learn a good deal about the local history. I will say though, if you are expecting to see things up close and personal, this isnt for you. You ride by the plantations and you have to peak around the trees etc. You really dont see all that much of the plantations. Still, I enjoyed this tour.

3  Thank ladybug_91982
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My husband and I went more for the boat ride aspect of this adventure. It was a beautiful way to spend the morning on a hot summer day, just delightful.
The tree's the water, the heron's, the alligator, yes alligator .... well I just can't think of a better time that I have had in quite some time.
Nancy, the narrator was an added bonus.She is she is the only narrator, so you will always have the good one! She provided so much information about the history of the slaves and Gullah people of the South and the rice plantations that even though you really didn't see much of any homes per say, you are looking more at the territory of where the homes once stood and where the rice plantations use to be.(some homes still there) Nancy's stories about the history were incredibly interesting and really made up for it. I was so intrigued and engulfed with the information that she was providing, so much so, it really made me feel I was there way back when.
Sprawling plantations over the water, not really.... much better enjoyment will be had if you let that idea go. As far as little children are concerned, I could see how it may not be able to captivate their attention, it depend on the age and temperment of the child. If they like boat rides they may have a good time.
If you like history, tranquility and a beautiful view you should love it, I did! I feel it was worth the money. :~ ) Have fun.

3  Thank Chloe W
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We took this boat cruise because they advertised it as a river cruise that would let you see Southern plantations from the river. Well, it took a whole hour on the boat before we even saw a plantation and the plantations we did see were small and hard to see from the river. Although the woman who did the commentary was very knowledgable I did not think it was worth the $30 we paid.

4  Thank Aimee K