“Dissapointed”

Huntington Beach State Park
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I had wanted to return to Huntington and visit the historic home Atelia on the site. My husband and I love history and old homes. We were shocked and disappointed to find this most interesting architectural style was a completely empty shell with no doors or windows and not a piece of furniture. Save the admission and go across the street to Brookgreen Gardens to enjoy Mrs. Huntingtons magnificent sculptures.

There are newer reviews for Huntington Beach State Park

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This state park is beautiful!!! The trails and the beach is absolutely wonderful! The water is incredibly warm and the we all enjoyed a relaxing day! Gorgeous!!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed wondering around this park. If you're a photographer, take the two nature trails that lead out to marshes and quiet areas for birding and gator watching. I noticed that the campground is very nice, with really no bad campsites. I saw a wide variety of birds, including Spoonbills! I believe at any given time, you can see an alligator, even if it's just swimming across the lagoon. It's very spread out, so doesn't seem so crowded. Be prepared to pay $5.00 for an adult to get into the park and then an additional $2.00 to go through Atalaya estate. I want to add, as unimportant that this might sound, that the cherry/banana slushie (icee) that I purchased from the little gift shop was AMAZING. I told my husband that I'd almost pay the $5.00 to get back in there to get another one. I am going to go back tomorrow very early morning (the park hours are 6 am til 10 pm), to do the second nature trail which is 2 miles round trip. There are several beach accesses from inside this park, and also a nature center and some picnic tables, etc. Very nice and interesting park. You could pack a big lunch, bring all your beach stuff, coolers, etc., and just make a beach day at Huntington Beach State Park. There are showers to wash off after beach time. I enjoyed Atalaya because I like history and old dwellings. As a photographer, I enjoyed taking my 17-40 lens to photograph the various old rooms inside the home. I give it 4 instead of 5 stars because $7.00 is a little bit expensive (for the entry fee to the park and to the Atalaya estate) (even though I realize they have to keep the park up and running), but if I am not mistaken, you have to pay for each person in your car to get in the park. You might double check this fact, but the sign at the entrance had the various prices for adults, children, seniors, etc., so I am assuming you pay for each person, and that can be a little expensive. So, if you decide to go, take a cooler, food, drinks, beach chairs, umbrellas, everything you'll need to get your money's worth. Take some shoes that will enable you to do the two small nature trails (one trail is 0.6 miles round trip and the other nature trail is 2 miles round trip). Both trails lead out to beautiful salt marsh areas with wildlife, etc. Hope this helps. Also, there are several bathroom facilities, including a VERY clean bathroom inside the Atalaya home if your taking that tour.

1  Thank molliefestus
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We've been coming here for years and staying at the campground. One of our family's favorite places!
Beach is beautiful and uncrowded, people are pleasant, nice presentations by the rangers...and don't forget to visit Atalya!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We went early to beat the heat and found the beach not very crowded. The ocean was cooling and not cold. The beach was being enjoyed by all ages. Gift shop etc. and sites nearby. Take beach umbrellas, towels, sun screen and snacks. Take something to put shells into.