“NIce park”

Huntington Beach State Park
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The beach is beautiful; we had a great time there of course. For the price, Atalaya is worth a visit. Our 2 and 5 year old had a good time running through from room to room and in the bear cages, while my husband and I read about the history of the building. It's a beautiful castle with an interesting history; I hope they continue to rennovate it. The kids had a great time at the Nature Center. There are a few animals, a touch tank, a boat on which they could play, and an art area where they used stamps, puzzles, and crayon rubbings. It's great for young children. The marsh was interesting to see and filled with tiny crabs. We saw three crocodiles in the marsh during the week. We visited the park three time during our 1 week stay. It's a well maintained park.

1  Thank jecrjtgues
Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was a wonderful place to visit. We saw alligators, herons, sand crabs, etc. outside and starfish, a seahorse, turtles, a baby alligator, snakes, etc. inside. The education center is a cute little place with very nice, educated, professional employees. We happened to be there during feeding time, which was exciting for my children. After we explored the animals, we then hit the beach. This is a great place to spend the day as a family!

1  Thank singlejess1
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A nice, quiet beach close to the Resort. Dogs allowed on certain parts of the beach. No need to fight for umbrella space since it's not overly crowded.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a wonderful place to spend a day. The beach at the north end of the park is uncrowded and beautiful - there are 3 beach access points but the guide steered us to the northern one to avoid the crowds. The walk out over the water near the nature center was fascinating, as was the tour of Atalaya. We rented an umbrella and chairs in Pawleys Island for the day, and picked up a picnic lunch at the Freshmarket in Pawleys - bread, cheese, pasta salads, all packed in a Freshmarket cooler bag with a bag of frozen peas. A perfect day!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I've been going camping at Huntington off and on for 25 years, since I was a little girl. Still gets three stars from me because it's peaceful, the scenery is gorgeous, the beach is wonderful, definitely a family place. But it no longer rates 5 stars because of two main things. They removed half the campsites several years back - the better ones, IMO. The entire side of the campground that actually got a breeze off the ocean apparently got damaged in a storm, so instead of repairing it, they just shut it off and let to go back to marsh, so now it's next to impossible to get a site during most of the year unless you reserve something months in advance. Even worse is problem number 2 - the mosquitos have gotten entirely out of hand. Probably because the entire campground is surrounded by marsh and the brush has grown up to the point of blocking even a small breeze from getting through. We were there for three days, we stayed literally drowned in mosquito repellant the entire time (as in, we sprayed down before we walked in off the beach, sprayed down after showering before leaving the bathhouse, and sprayed again every single time we set foot outside), and we were still eaten alive. The tent sites are by far the worst, they are tucked back literally IN the marsh area, totally surrounded by scrub brush and crepe myrtles. You can see the mosquitos swarming by the thousands in the shadows. We camped out in the center, near the upper bathhouse, and we STILL had hundreds buzzing around. I have never seen so many mosquitos in one place before. Myrtle Beach State Park may be a bit more crowded, but the mosquitos are nearly nonexistent and there is still plenty of shade. Will not be camping here in the summer anymore, and its a shame, because this was always my favorite campground growing up, and I wanted my kids to feel the same way.

2  Thank Heather F