“Fantastic Food at a Reasonable Price”
Review of Old World Italian Restaurant - CLOSED

Old World Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Murrells Inlet, SC
“Fantastic Food at a Reasonable Price”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Make reservations. The menue is plentiful with family specialties, traditional Italian, fish and sides. The veal sorrento was some of the best I've had. The meals were served hot and had a fresh taste. This is not the place to go if you are a tourist and are in a big hurry to eat and run. The inside has a homey feel as if you're at a friends for dinner. If you take the time to relax and thoroughly enjoy the dishes, Old World Italian will be on your annual list of places to eat in Myrtle Beach.

3 Thank HotH20

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Family raves about it but I notice a few negatives.”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I always have to take our relatives from PA (both his and mine) here whenever they are in town. They RAVE about it. And honestly, anything with red sauce is awesome. When we take my husband's mother, we usually end up ordering the "parmesean trifecta": eggplant parmesean, chicken parmesean, and veal parmesean. It's always excellent.

The major negative is the service. Typically, the male waiters are better than the females (and I don't meant to be sexist here, I am a female writing this!) Both Alex and Geovanni are very good. Most of the females do seem a little scatterbrained there. And it can be very slow at times, in particular if you have a large party. Don't expect to get out in under 2 hours here. But, they never rush you like they do some of the chain restaurants (like the one next door!)

Another negative is their limited choice of side dishes. The majority of dishes come with a side of penne with marinara sauce. Your server MIGHT ask you if that's acceptable. Sometimes they just bring it without asking. You can sub any pasta and get alfredo sauce instead. Or do what I do and ask for a side of gnocchi. Their gnocchi is outstanding. They are little pillows of heaven. There is a slight upcharge for this and your server will usually let you know.

I have tried other dishes on their menu and have been disappointed. I believe one time I got Shrimp Francese and when it came out I looked at it and thought to myself, I can't believe I'm going to pay this much for a 1/2 a dozen shrimp. It would be better if they served it over a bed of penne and maybe served it with a side of vegetables.

If they have the pork chop marsala as a special, it is very good and HUGE! But again, I think this would be so much better if they served it with garlic mashed or roasted potatoes or even some of their fabulous gnocchi in a brown butter sauce.

The salads offered with the meal are not that great either. It's just basic iceberg lettuce with a little bit of red onion, cukes, and cherry tomatoes. We usually opt for the soup. Their wedding soup is very good and my husband is usually pleased with the minestrone.

Their desserts are really good too. I've had the tiramisu, italian cheesecake, and most recently a limoncello cake which was outstanding.

Bottom line, if you don't mind the wait and like anything with marinara sauce, go here. It is worth it.

3 Thank Jessica P
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Do not eat here”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

My family went to eat here tonight. Family being pregnant wife, son, and myself. The host (who also appeared to be the owner) could not have been more inappropriate. He made an obvious effort to avoid seating my family. My best guess is that it may be because we had a child with us. Perhaps this explains why they had most of the restaurant vacant while the chain next door had no vacancy in the parking lot. This is the first restaurant review that I have ever written - it was that important to share our experience.
Very disgruntled local

4 Thank RiverWife
South Carolina
“Never disappointed by the quality”
Reviewed February 7, 2012

George, the owner, is personable and friendly and the staff is excellent. The service is gracious and the food is always delicious

1 Thank Bug6
Myrtle Beach, Sc
“Quaint and very good entrees”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

The small quiet atmosphere and the service was great.

Visited January 2012