“Great location and food but...”
Review of K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille - CLOSED

K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This used to be a popular locals place under a different name and I hope it stays the same. For nor the popular items have stayed on the menu and are very good. I had the portabella sand which, very tasty but the bun should have been toasted so it didn't become so soggy. My main problem was that I ordered a melon based drink that was all pineapple and coconut. When I asked about it I was told they ran out of melon liquor so made a different drink without bothering to mention it to me so I could change my order. Only other problem was that we were there on a slow day off season, having waitresses myself years ago, there is no reason for not filling catsup, salt and pepper at the beginning of the day.

The outdoor seating is very relaxing overlooking the water and menu is great for lunch or a casual dinner.

1  Thank ZeldaL
KRB46, Owner at K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Good Afternoon,
I apologize for not responding sooner but taking over an already busy restaurant in full operation is no small task. I believe I spoke to you that day and apologized for the mix up with the drink and you not being told about it. As we all found out, Hannah Banana's had a huge selection of drink choices and it took a little while to learn the menus. The bartender working that day was relatively new, covering for a vacationing bartender and thought she did the right thing by substituting the melon liqeur for melon rum, thinking it would still taste the same. The server did not know this. As for the ketchups/salt/peppers not being refilled, we do not refill those condiments. Those sit in the sun sometimes so we do not like to add new product to the old. We discard those containers when they are empty. Again, sometimes the little things go unnoticed when first taking over a busy, already operational restaurant. Glad you enjoyed the breathtaking view though. Hope you had a great day and have a great one today. 8-)

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went early evening & sat outside on the deck-very picturesque. Only problem was pesky flies that not only buzzed the food, but also you! Food was your typical fried fish, burgers, & seafood. Prices were reasonable & food came quickly. Didn't realize this spot was so close to the condo we were staying at. Would have definitely gone again prior to departure. New owners just took over recently, would have liked to purchase one of their logo T-shirts, but did not have my size in stock. Maybe next time.

Thank you for your kind review. I apologize about the flies... they drove us all nuts and we tried everything to get rid of the little pests. Finally found sonic lanterns that hunters use and it seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately not until after your visit though. I'm glad you enjoyed it otherwise and look forward to your return visit, minus the flies. Have a great day! 8-)

K-Rae

Reviewed August 21, 2013

After missing in action for several years, it's great to have K-Rae's back in Murrells Inlet. Located directly on the Intracoastal Waterway, their new location is one of the premier spots in town. Removed from the vacation crowd craziness, it's a wonderful place to sit back, relax, and just chill in a beautiful and serene setting.

Both the menu and the staff appear to be holdovers from the previous restaurant, and we look forward to the new owner putting her personal touch on both. The food is mostly sandwiches and salads, and a cut above your typical bar food. Still, the food is not the star player here, and if your primary interest is an excellent meal, there are better choices in the area. I had the philly cheesesteak, which was good but not great. The beef was tender and the onion and peppers were nicely grilled, but overall, it was a little dry and not brimming over with flavor. My wife's chicken sandwich was "ok". At first glance, the menu is a little pricey, but considering you're also paying for the ambiance, in the end, it's a great deal. On the plus side, drink prices are very good.

Close your eyes and imagine relaxing on a deck directly alongside the river, under the stars and an old live oak tree, enjoying your favorite beverage and a decent meal while listening to live music. That's K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille. If you haven't been there, it's worth checking out. If you were there under the old ownership, it's definitely worth another visit.

KRB46, Owner at K-Rae's Waterway Bar & Grille, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thanks so much for the great review! I will speak to the chef's tomorrow about the food quality. I have been trying to get a handle on how it all works here and make changes as I see them. I appreciate the honest review and will definitely try to remedy the situation with both. Hope you come back and visit us soon. 8-)

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We always loved Hannah Banana; so when we visited the same location with new owners and found the same menu, friendly service and wonderful view, we plan to return. Food was excellent.

Thank you so much for the GREAT review. Sorry it took so long to respond. It's been a crazy few months. Hope to have you back again. Have a great day!
K-Rae

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Hanna Banana was always one of our favorite places when we visited Murrells Inlet. I was really disappointed to find that it had changed owners, but when we visited in early August we found the same great wait staff, chefs and menu. We tend to favor the fried oysters (fried just like you ask), fish tacos, shrimp corn chowder and the peanut butter pie.

We were always treated well at the restaurant under the previous owner and the current manager and staff were very courteous. I wish them well in their new endeavor. They have a great tradition of service to follow.

1  Thank MissDixieDelight