“Safety-conscious and thorough”

Express Watersports
Ranked #2 of 23 Tours in Murrells Inlet
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Make countless memories on your vacation with Express Watersports. 20 years in the industry, Express is your one-stop shop for fun and adventure on the water. We have a wide variety of services, such as scuba diving, parasailing, banana boat rides, kayak & paddleboard rentals, ocean sightseeing and dolphin watch cruises, jet ski rentals, sunset cruises, and private charters everyone is bound to find something they love. Reservations are required. Call or book online.
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I'm not a diver, but our daughter obtained her junior PADI certification (at age 12) at Express Watersports last summer. This year, she's back for recreational dives and having a great time. As a parent, I was impressed with their attention to detail and safety preparations. The instructors and crew made sure that she had everything she needed and that everything fit and was working properly before leaving the dock. I feel completely confident letting her go out again in the hands of this capable crew.

1  Thank MRGalant
in 5 reviews
"nice trip"
"sea turtles"

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've got many hundreds of dives in my log book and I use dive operators frequently, so I tend to be a little critical of these types of dive operators. That said, Express Watersports could teach the other guys alot about customer service!

Safety was their number one concern and it was evident by the number of head-counts that happened. The crew counted heads before, during, and after every dive. They talked with each other as groups of divers surfaced, and each crewmember was fully aware of the count at all times. Before leaving the dock, and at the end of each dive, a roll call was taken by name (which probably did more to reassure the passengers that a head count was being taken, since the crew was already on top of it!).

The first dive site had poor viz, so we headed further out to another site. Now that's customer service! Many other operators would say "you pay your money, you take your chances!"

The crew does not dive with the customers, so solo divers were paired up with each other, which is a good safety practice, but can make for a lousy dive. (Incidentally, we had 6 crew and 10 divers, so I'm not sure why all 6 were dry crew) I was paired with a brand-new diver who had numerous in-water gear issues and huffed through an entire tank in only 20 minutes! I spoke to the crew about it and they sent one of the crew as my dive buddy on the next dive. Although I felt like I got ripped off on my first dive, they did their best to make up for it on the second dive and I am okay with it. It was an effort they did not have to take, and I appreciate the fact that they did, and that they did so delicately, so as to spare the new diver's feelings.

Prior to any diver getting into the water, the first mate checks everyone's gear and tanks. Not just a visual, but a hands-on check of all regs, gauges, weights, tanks, etc. They only let one diver enter the water at a time to facilitate this safety check. It makes it so that starting your dive takes a little longer, but it's a nice touch.

The boat is clean and very adequately stocked with gear. The inevitable O-ring and weight-belt problems are nothing they can't handle. The crew even helped some of the customers switch tanks between dives instead of making them do it themselves.

There is plenty of water aboard, but no snacks. It would have been icing on the cake since the ride out to the dive site is almost 2 hours! And another 2 hours back. Stomachs were growling!

This is a very professional and friendly operation and I recommend them.

1  Thank skydiverbrian
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was our first trip to the ocean for 5 of our 8 family members. I wanted to add something they would remember. We saw many banana boats when we were at the ocean. But they take off from the beach. I saw an ad and coupon for Express Watersports that said they had 35 min rides and took off from a pier. (We have a 6 yr old that I did not think he could handle crossing the waves if we did the ones from the beach.) Plus Express Watersports took 2 boats at the same time to accommidate our 8 passengers. They were great!! The teenagers rode one while me and my husband rode with the younger kids. We saw dolpins!! And our driver kept a good eye out making sure our little one was ok, even stopped to let him get in the water to let him know he was fine. The other driver tricked the teens and "dumped" them in the ocean, which they thought was hilarious!!! It was a ton of fun for all of us!!! And a great price with the coupon, $20 per person for over 35 minutes of boating!!!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We had been here before, so knew we wouldn't be disappointed. We went parasailing, and jet skiing. Had a blast! Everyone was very nice & helpful! Have went other places, but this one is one of the best.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I went out to 11 mile site the first week in April. To give you some perspective about my review, my husband is a certified-Instructor Trainer with NAUI (which means that he is a scuba instructor and can also train people to become instructors), but I just have a regular certification and am a vacation diver. Anyway, we decided somewhat last minute to dive on our vacation to Myrtle Beach so we had to rent equipment instead of bringing our own. We were given 3 mm wetsuits, but the water was so cold we NEEDED 5 mm, or at least the 3 mm with a shortie over it. I was shaking so much throughout the dive from the cold that we had to surface early and did not do the second dive. It was a sunny day and we enjoyed the boat ride (really nice boat), but two people on our boat (out like 10) got very seasick (unable to dive, vomiting) so bring motion sickness medicine with you just in case. It was a two-tank dive at about 35 ft., with a tugboat wreck and plane wreck. There were people spear fishing, which was cool to see. The service of the staff, instructors and DMs on board was friendly and helpful, but I agree with the scuba dive review below that as a one-time a year diver I personally would not have felt safe diving, except that my dive buddy happened to be a scuba instructor. My advice is to ask for a more in depth review if it you have questions BEFORE you get in the water, and don't hesitate to ask someone to check your equipment. For an extra fee one of their instructors will dive with you and be your buddy. Diving is limited in the Myrtle Beach area, but we were glad that we got to experience it and had a good time sunbathing on the deck of the boat!