“Great food, pleasant but very slow service”

Russell's Seafood Grill
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: We are located at the south end of Business 17 across the street from Hot Fish Club and Nance's. GPS's may or may not find us. Call for directions. We do not take reservations and we are NOT open for Lunch
Mountain Home, Arkansas
“Great food, pleasant but very slow service”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We got almost immediate seating on the patio outside during a very busy July 4 holiday week. We had a very friendly waitress. Unfortunately, likely because of the crowd, everything took a very long time. We got our order placed relatively quickly but had to wait over an hour for our food and then for thirty more minutes to get our ticket. We were almost satiated on the complementary hush puppies by the time our food arrived. All of the food was delicious. All of the food was delicious. I would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are in the area.

• Visited July 2014

“Great service!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

We decided to have a big breakfast, skip lunch and got to Russell's at 4:00 to avoid a long wait. It is a small quaint restaurant on the second floor across robe street from the water. It is not waterfront. We had Erika as a server and she was fantastic! My husband loves seafood and ordered the snapper... He said it was really good. I'm not a seafood eater so I ordered the steak and it was fine.. Better than average for sure. The hush puppies are so good.. I ate way too many. My kids had lobster tail and they liked it. Service was quick. There are only about 12-15 tables on the second floor, maybe they have seating downstairs too? I'm not sure. When we left at 5:15 there was still only minimal wait. Across the street at Drunken Jacks and Dead Dog the parking lots were packed, so it seems they draw a bigger crowd, maybe because they are waterfront? We really enjoyed our meal at Russell's and I'm glad we went! Next time in Murrells inlet we will probably choose a waterfront restaurant.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank 84debs84
Atlanta, Georgia
“What view?”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

First, they advertise a great view but it's really a parking lot view. All the good views in Murrells Inlet are across the road. Second, the food is just ok, and I think over-priced. For 15 bucks I got a grilled fish sandwich that came out very dry, when I had asked the bartender to make sure it was cooked medium rare. The cole slaw on first taste was intriguing, and I found out it was sweet pickle juice...but, after a few more bites it was cloying and just too sweet and boring. I've had way better slaw in the Inlet, like at Hot Fish Club across the road where I should have gone in the first place. Oh yeah, it was just me sitting at the bar, and you'd think the kitchen would squeeze in a fish sandwich order, speed it up since it was a bar order. But no, I had to wait til all the larger tables had been served. I was there an hour for a dry fish sandwich. Frankly I don't know how Russells gets all the great reviews here...me thinks somebody is stuffing the ballot box!

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank ckconey
localgal10, Owner at Russell's Seafood Grill, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Russell's. We have a very nice view of the Inlet even though we are not on the water, you were in the bar area which is in the back of the restaurant but still has a clear view from certain seats. Maybe you were not in one of those seats. You thought our food was overpriced? I don't know if you have tried to buy fresh fish lately but prices are sky high right now and we do our best to maintain quality and keep the prices where we can make a profit but not overcharge the customer. I am sorry it was dry to your liking, if you would have mentioned it to us, we would have grilled you a new one on the fly. The kitchen does not squeeze in orders from the bar, that' s just not how it works, maybe in places with large kitchens and numerous employees but not in our tiny place. You mentioned our slaw, that is the way we have been making it for 21 years, as with everything, some like it some don't. Finally, our great reviews come from people that come in and enjoy our restaurant, food and service, there is no stuffing of the ballot box on Tripadvisor you can read all the rules and regulations on their page. Think what want but we do the best we can with what we have to work with. Please enjoy the Hot Fish, I like them also. Tell them I said Hey! Karen Vereen(proud owner of Russell's Seafood Grill)
“A little let down”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

love the area, and very romantic as long as you sat outside away from the noisy drunks at the bar. We had a awesome breeze and very romantic dinner by tiki torch light. hush puppies were amazing with the honey butter, but my date night I finished a whole basket before we were asked what we wanted to drink. the appetizer dip was also very good, but it was served with saltine another dinner crackers in plastic packages. Would have been better with house bread to dip. My date really enjoyed her she crab soup except it came out cold. I had the stuffed flounder which I try to order at any seafood place I visit. Flounder was very good but the stuffing was horrible. service overall was so so. Total bill came to about 75 bucks.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank rcsobull
localgal10, Owner at Russell's Seafood Grill, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
I am really sorry you did not enjoy your dinner with us. Thank you for the thumbs up on some things and my apologies for the things that went wrong. We do not always prepare food to everyone's liking, but we really do try our best. If it is brought to our attention, we will fix it, or replace it. July is a crazy busy month and the waits can be long and with lots of big parties, the kitchen can get a little backed up at times. We try our best and maybe you can give us another chance. Thanks Karen Vereen(owner)
Greenville, South Carolina
“Good seafood, good atmosphere, good service”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The title says it all. Russell's Seafood Grill is in a quaint sea/maritime setting, with helpful wait staff. The hush puppies are excellent as well as the shrimp. The price is appealing as well. Will go again.

• Visited June 2014