“I really want this to be five stars but I've been let down.”

Russell's Seafood Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are located at the south end of Business 17 across the street from Hot Fish Club and Nance's. GPS's may or may not find us. Call for directions. We do not take reservations and we are NOT open for Lunch
Atlanta, Georgia
“I really want this to be five stars but I've been let down.”
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I really like Russels. This was probably at least visit #7. We've had probably 2 nights where it would have been a 5 ranking and one where I would have said 3 and the rest are a four because I know what kind of excellence they can pull off. First thing is they frequently aren't staffed enough. This is a small place and I know there isn't room for a lot of staff but our waiter acted like a chicken with his head cut off trying to help all the tables, get food, drinks, bills, etc. I was exhausted just watching. It was distracting. The ambiance is nothing amazing. It is across the street from the inlet and the chairs aren't extremely comfortable but I don't care. I come for well prepared food and that's all I really care about in the end. I want hog snapper Russel! This is what made it a #1 restaurant in the past. I haven't seen it on the menu when I've been for a couple years. Everything is a little bit of a disappointment now I've been spoiled. The fish is always well prepared and if there if a problem Russell will make sure it is fixed ASAP. Their steaks are also well prepared and cooked correctly. The hush puppies are to die for. The salad with raspberry vinigerette dressing with blue cheese crumbles is great and their cheese potato balls are pretty heavenly. The staff is very friendly and they must be well treated because we often see the same people each time. You will be treated as a VIP as Ruessell makes the rounds and will check on you personally to make sure everything is ok. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves seafood. It is priced fairly for this area. Just don't expect a fancy white linen service type of place, and if hog snapper is one of the specials get it with no hesitations.

• Visited September 2013
localgal10, Owner at Russell's Seafood Grill, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hey Julie, thank you for taking the time to tell about your experiences at Russell's. Lots of compliments!!! Thanks so much for the kind words! Now to explain some of the others, staffing situation isn't usually a problem, you were in Friday night, we got slammed and I was one waitperson short, end of the season, didn't expect to be near that busy! Even though your waiter was running around, in the end, he got it done and no one left unhappy. Ambiance(you said not much), this is our ambiance from my view from the front door, people from everywhere, sitting at tables next to each other, then at some point during their meal start talking to the folks next to them about this and that and before their meal is over they are exchanging phone numbers or email addresses, sometimes meeting at our place later on in the week and becoming friends forever. Now, the Hog snapper or Hog fish issue...this fish is a bottom feeder so it has to be caught by spearfishing, we have to get it from the local boats when they have divers, also it usually runs around May. We had a good amount in August but it doesn't last long. Seafood is a challenge and we work hard to get the freshest local product we can get all the time! Russell was born and raised here and has a reputation to live up to, I think he does a pretty darn good job! Thanks again for the review, hope to see you again in the future. Karen Vereen(owner)

Graham, North Carolina
“Worth the trip!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had planned to visit Russells since we didn't get to on our last trip down to Murrell's... When we got there about 6 there wasn't alot of activity, but shortly there after the place filled up... The waitress was quick to get to us for our drink order and to welcome us... We started off with she crab soup which was more like a cross between chowder and your standard run of the meal she crab soup... The flavor was wonderful... And I almost cancelled my order to get another bowl...

We got broiled seafood platters... Everything was cooked just right... we sat on the deck and ate our dinner to good music with soft breezes coming in from the inlet... The atmosphere was great as was the meal... We sat for about 20 minutes afterward just chillin...

What I would rate as one of the best aspects of the resturant was the old school seafood house decor mixed with an eclectic mix of more modern beach decor... very nice... very cool...

The thing that impressed me most was that Russell went to every table while we were there taking time to speak to everyone and see if we were being treated well and if the food was good... He was pleasant and funny... It was a nice touch...

We will return... I would rather go here than Lee's Inlet any day of the week...

Warsaw, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A must everytime!”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is the best restaurant in Murrells Inlet! Great food.....Great Service.....We have traveled to this area for many years and love this place.....Sue Bob is the best!

• Visited August 2013
“Extravagant price for mediocre food”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Gourmet prices for no frills fish cooked too long and served in plastic baskets. Prompt and pleasant waitstaff. View of marsh from one table.

5 Thank B2parks
localgal10, Owner at Russell's Seafood Grill, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
I am sorry your fish was overcooked, we would have replaced it if you would have let us know. As for the Extravagant price...the only fish we serve in a basket is $12.95. Please try us again. Karen Vereen(owner)
Timonium, MD
“OK, but over rated on TripAdvisor”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We went to Russell's about 8:30 on the Wednesday before Labor day based on the great TripAdvisor reviews. At that time, it was a very light crowd, and we were seated immediately. Their location is down the road from the main group of restaurants and Marshwalk and appears to be more of a locals restaurant. This may explain a few things. The place is small and rustic and has a great atmosphere for a quiet dinner on a slow night. Our server was prompt and efficient but, it was an uncrowded time. The food, however, was not the greatest. While my wife's sauteed shrimp were OK, the cheese potato things that came with it were rather small and bland. My fried soft shell crabs were practically empty of meat and had a bland batter. The fries were tasteless frozen types that are easily beat by McDonald's. I've seen other poor reviews where the owner replies that they could cook something else but, we had other things to do than wait around for something else. While I understand the Lowcountry style of cooking may be not as well seasoned as we are used to up North, there is no excuse for empty softshell crabs and frozen fries for the prices they charge. That said, we may still try again next year based on the atmosphere.

• Visited August 2013