“A Genteel Wonderland of Nature's & Sculptured Art + Kind-hearted People”
Review of Brookgreen Gardens

Brookgreen Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful 9,170-acre green park located 16 miles south of Myrtle Beach.
Savannah, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Genteel Wonderland of Nature's & Sculptured Art + Kind-hearted People”
Reviewed July 13, 2008

Researching for a 3-day great pals' getaway to Myrtle Beach, my pal found Brookgreen Gardens. I was expecting 30 minutes of oohs and aahsm but discovered instead endless rejuvenating adventures trying to absorb all the wonder that one can take in ... from the visionary brilliance of the Huntington's, to kind-hearted people who obviously love taking an endless mantle forward to encourage and inspire new generations, from the nature which is made more beautiful with gentle care, and to revisit the natural places that served to solidify greatness of the South.

Bring a camera! A panoramic camera would be even better! Brookgreen is a natural wonderland that you will not want to miss! Talk to the art-loving people there ... including the pantoon captain, the pantoon guide, head of security and ladies who work in the gift shop. Even their stories, and their love of adventure and the arts add so much to the feeling of discovery we found at Brookgreen. After our return home, one of my pal's wrote, "The best kind of friends are the kind you can sit on a porch and swing with, never say a word, and then walk away feeling like it was the best conversation you've ever had.

Or walk in gardens in a thunder storm and feel like it was the best time you’ve had all year!"

Such was our joyful, rainy day at Brookgreen Gardens! We'll be back!

1 Thank SavannahGrandmother

Boston, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't miss this beautiful location!”
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I just loved Brookgreen Gardens. The sculptures are awesome and the gardens are beautiful. We took the tour where one of the volunteers fed the animals in the sanctuary. It was a great opportunity to see a lot of the wildlife. The animals have all been injured in some way and are not able to be released into the wild so it's not like going to the zoo. We saw lots of birds (owls, bald eagles, herons, hawks, wild turkeys} in addition to river otters, alligators, etc. I would return again and recommend it to my friends.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
“A Must See”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I Love Myrtle Beach. Whats more, I love Brookgreen. It is an amazing seven thousand (or was it 70,000) acres of land that consist of rice fields, statuary gardens, fountains, an aviary, and even a mini-zoo. It has everything you want to see and more. I visit Brookgreen at leas four times a year. You have to stop here if you visit Myrtle Beach!!

Port Ewen, New York
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 260 helpful votes
“Beautiful garden with lots to see”
Reviewed September 15, 2007

We were visiting Myrtle Beach again and friends suggested we go here. It's about 20 minutes from Myrtle Beach, Wacamaw mall area. Grounds are gorgeous, but much larger than we anticipated. If you're not into a lot of walking, they have free wheelchairs at the visitor center and most exhibits seemed easy to get to on flat ground.

We spent about 50 minutes taking the pontoon boat ride. It was informative, and probably a good choice after walking around a couple of hours and in need of a rest.

We spent about an hour walking around the various sculptures. They are from various artists, not just the people that started the gardens. Each one seemed to get better and better. If our friends did not have to head back after 2 hours, we could have stayed another couple of hours looking around. As it was, we saw quite a bit and will probably go back ourselves on our next visit down there.

2 Thank donutking1
Arkansas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“This place was fabulous”
Reviewed June 20, 2007

If you go to SC you have to see this place. It is huge and every bit that I saw of it was landscaped beautifully. The place was owned by a couple and the wife was a sculptor. They decided to open their property to let people come in and see her work. At this time there are sculptures by many different artists. I'm not much into art but most of the sculptures are found on the grounds surrounded by flowers or fountains. One part of the gardens is shaped like a butterfly (aerial view). The grounds are immaculate. There is also a boat (pontoon) ride that is narrated about how rice had been grown there, and also the wildlife is pointed out as you pass by it. There is also a little zoo on the property. I found all of the staff to be very friendly and the visit very enjoyable. I ate at their cafe and the food was reasonably priced and very good. It only cost $12 for general admittance which included the zoo and the grounds. The boat trip was $7 extra, and they had some jeep treks also that I think were $7 each. The best part is that your ticket stub for the grounds is good for 7 consecutive days so you can go back if you're staying the area for a few days. The first thing you see at the gardens is a huge sculpture at the entrance surrounded by a fountain. Can't miss it. There is also a tram to take you from one part of the gardens to another although I walked the entire way. For those younger and older, or not able to get around that well, this is very helpful. Also, when we went on the boat, someone who was disabled was on a scooter and the scooter easily entered the boat and made the trip.

2 Thank Angel1238812