“Easily one of the highlights of our 2 weeks vacation in the area”
Review of Brookgreen Gardens

Brookgreen Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful 9,170-acre green park located 16 miles south of Myrtle Beach.
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Plan to return over several days especially since ticket good for 6 more days. Bring a book and enjoy some of the many benches around the individual gardens.

There are newer reviews for Brookgreen Gardens

Reviewed July 4, 2011

I visited the gardens nearing the end of a week long family trip to nearby Myrtle Beach. As per my personality, I have come to the realization that I am not a "beach person." I like looking at the ocean, but sitting on the beach, burning my skin, sweating, getting sand everywhere, greasy sunscreen-NOT my idea of fun,,,,,,which brings me to the gardens. In a moment of boredom I went to the local brochure rack and picked up the brochure for Brookgreen gardens. After consulting tripadvisor, I drove there which from the beach strip of MB took about 25 minutes. All I can say is that this place renewed my energy. I wanted to soak in every bit. I watched the short film on the history, and then began my stroll in the gardens. I was very impressed with the layout, the flowers, trees, fountains, and sculptures- everything is so painstakingly arranged, the attention to details was stunning. If only I could make my little garden at home look like one of their gardens. I stopped for a moment in the little kitchen cafe in the middle of the "woods." An ice tea,home baked cookie and a fresh orange was five dollars. Walking along, I saw wildlife, a snake, many turtles,birds,and dragonflies in abundance. In the middle of my tour, it began to rain, but I kept going, as the light rain was a reprieve from the heat of South Carolina in the summer. As a matter of fact, just being in the gardens felt like 20 degrees cooler than walking around the strip in Myrtle Beach. Well, I did begin running out of time as I had a plan to meet the rest of my family for dinner. I did not get to see the zoo, the butterfly house, lake with the boat nor take any of the docent tours. The admission of twelve dollars is good for seven days-and in the summer on Fridays, they are open until nine , the zoo until seven. They even have concerts taking place. Parking is ample and free. There is a designated picnic area, as well as a complete restaurant. The only dissapointment I feel is that I got a late start , and missed the other parts of the place. I will add that this, in my opinion is a visit for people that have a genuine interest in gardens, wildlife, and art. There is a little children's garden, but I am not sure that my six year old nephew, and three year old niece would have been content to stroll through the gardens without trying to pick a flower or complaining that they were bored. Perhaps the zoo would be better for children. All in all, this was a highlight of my recent trip.

Reviewed June 25, 2011

My husband and I had an amazing experience at brookgreen! We spent almost a whole day walking around the gardens and still didn't see everything. It only costs $12 to get in and the ticket is good for 7 days! Brookgreen is very quite and peaceful it was a great way to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and just relax.

1  Thank athena23
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Acres and acres of beautiful gardens: plants, flowers, trees...hundreds of sculptures..carefully placed throughout the gardens, ponds and fountains...it is so relaxing, a feast for the eyes..plus there was a zoo and a butterfy garden

Reviewed June 18, 2011

Visited Brookgreen many times with my husband and 10 yr old daughter. This time we took the Northern Trek tour. The tour was entertaining and educational. The driver was excellent, Talked about plantation life, slave life, civil war, and rice production. Northern trek tour was in a open bus and was bumpy and very dusty. Anyone with back problems don't do it. My husband took his camera but wished he had a bag to put it in due to dust. The gardens are beautiful and with many photo opportunities. Bring plenty of water to drink - it can get hot in summer. Good walking shoes, hat and sunglasses. Zoo area is nice. We walked the trail behind the gardens and my husband spotted lots of birds to photograph. My daughter enjoyed the kids garden. One plus is tickets are good for 7 days. We went one day to do trek then back another day to do the gardens. They have strollers for rent if needed.