“'Ocean/Surf/Waves/Pier/Salt Water Fish Tank' Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Salt Water Creek

Salt Water Creek
Ranked #14 of 132 Restaurants in Murrells Inlet
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Murrells Inlet
“'Ocean/Surf/Waves/Pier/Salt Water Fish Tank' Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2009

2/13/09 UPDATE = On Friday, the 13th (always my "lucky day" - For Real!), the owner of Salt Creek Cafe emailed me back. She was gracious, sorry for the mildly poor incident, and explained very well our misunderstanding of the behavior of their manager. Everyone has an "off day". This is all that I was looking for, and my wife and I are planning to come back to Salt Creek Cafe when they have Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos available. I raised my rating to 4 stars, and not 5, only because I just about never give 5 stars to any restaurant. It might "go to their heads" (just kidding). 2/14/09 UPDATE = My wife and I went back for Valentines Day, because the Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos were available. While the owner was a little more generous with the fish portion, because of the misunderstanding that previously happened to us, we loved the Mahi Mahi. At the same price as the cod fish tacos, plus an outstanding, mild, garlic hot sauce, along with the guacamole & pico de gallo (my wife can't eat those last two things), black beans, and the vegetable of the day - snow peas, it was an excellent value at $10. We will come back to this "Mainly Locals" restaurant again.

2/13/09 = My wife gets migraine headaches from eating anything with tyramine in it. It is an amino acid that is in almost everything, and enough of it can give her migraine headaches!. Therefore, we don't eat out much, since most restraurants use buillion cubes for their soup, or put MSG in their food. This restaurant did not, so my wife ordered a cup of good butternut squash soup for $3.00, and the two, fairly small, fish tacos for $10.00. When she saw that there was guacamole (has tyramine) on the fish tacos, which was not noted on the menu, she scraped it off, as best she could, and gave it to me. She prefers grilled vs. fried fish so the great waiter, Jonathan, who previously said the kitchen OK'd doing grilled vs. the usualy fried, served about 1 oz. or less of grilled cod fish which Jonathan said looks like a whole lot more when done fried. Between the surprise of the guacamole, and my wife comparing her amount of cod fish for $10.00 to my "about 4 oz." of grilled salmon, she had the waiter exchange her grilled cod fish tacos for what I was having. When her grilled salmon sandwich was finally served (it wasn't that long, but I eat fast), she ate too fast, since I was done eating, and was given such a hot piece of salmon that she burned her mouth on it. Steam was coming off of it! Anyway, the manager (I guess that is who he was, as he did not introduce himself) came over and asked about our eating experience. We told him what happened, and said the truth, that it was a series of circumstances (first, my wife's special dietary needs, no guacamole noted on menu, my wife burned her mouth, and the salmon fish sandwich was a much better value. We should have mentioned: no ounces of fish noted on menu, but many restaurants do that. So, when he saw that we had a $10 off coupon from my wife (breast cancer survivor) walking for a breast cancer charity in town, he just said something to the affect that my wife must know what it feels like to have breast cancer vs. someone just walking for charity. He didn't apologize for the "average" eating experience, as our great waiter did a number of times along with asking us to please come back and try Salt Creek Cafe again. Maybe the mgr. thought we were looking for something for free, as there are a lot of New Yorker's in the area who probably do that very thing. As for us, it would have been nice if the mgr. would have offered one free desert to share. But, we would have turned it down, since we are both watching calories, and were full from the good fish sandwich lunches. In fact, we would turn down anything for free that restaurant would offer us now. I met the owner on the way out (nice guy - talk to him if you should have any issues, and not the mgr!). But, the owner was talking with another customer, and I felt I should not bring our poor restaurant experience up in front of another customer. That said, I would recommend this restaurant (only 3 stars due to the bad value grilled cod fish tacos, and the unprofessional mgr.) to anyone who likes grilled salmon vs. fried cod fish, and my $10.00 grilled salmon sandwich was good tasting, while being a good value for the area. I just want the good restaurants in my town to get better.

Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“A great place to feel Local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2008

My favorite new place in Murrells Inlet. The food is out of this world and the prices are great....esp happy hour!

2 Thank theslipperymermaid
ATLStarMan
“Breath of Fresh (not Fried) air in Murrells Inlet/Litchfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

On a vacation this summer to Litchfield Beach, we wanted to grab some lunch after picking up some beach supplies. Having seen the Salt Creek Cafe on the side of the road while heading to the store, we decided to drop in for a bite on the way back to our hotel. Boy, was that a great move! We enjoyed our lunch so much that we went back for dinner the following evening.

If you're looking for quality, fresh food in a landscape littered with overpriced fried seafood, Salt Creek Cafe is the place for you. The menu has a bunch of different options for the family, and everything we tried there was great tasting and fresh. For lunch, I had a blackened chicken sandwich that was amazing, and my wife enjoyed the Margharita Pizza, not something we expected at the beach. For dinner it was more of the same - the "Thanksgiving Dinner" was a welcome and tasty surprise, and the Fish Tacos were fantastic.

We had our 2-year-old son with us, and after a few days of fried foods we were happy to see some semi-healthy stuff on the kids menu, including grilled chicken and macaroni & cheese. The waitress specifically told us that the owner included some options like this for children because they were sick of feeding their kids fried fish when they went out to dinner!

The service was very good....everyone was as nice as can be, especially important to us because our son can be a tough customer when he has to sit and wait for long periods of time. The food was brought out quickly, and with a smile!

Salt Creek Cafe was the best restaurant experience we had in the Litchfield/Murrells Inlet area, including "famous" tourist traps like Captain Jacks. Good, quality food at decent prices (considering your options). We would recommend this restaurant to anyone that is staying in the area.