“Greedy Manager”

Holiday Inn Express Murrells Inlet
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Murrells Inlet
Reviewed September 12, 2006

My husband went online and reserved a three night stay for my mother and myself. I took her down there for some R&R after my father died at home with cancer. We both needed rest. Somehow... the computer put us in for '32' nights instead of 3. I called within 15 min of the mistake. The manager refused to take the extra 29 days off!!! I was frantic. My husband was in NC trying to make it right with Holiday Inn (the company). Apparentlyt it's a franchise and the manager can do as he pleases. In the end... Holiday Inn had to cover our 29 'extra' days with this manager. It was sooo upsetting. I didn't even want to stay there after the big hassle... but he would have charged me anyway. The girl at the front desk was very sweet though. I would say... be very leery of this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank Gypsy101

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I didn't actually stay here because I had reserved a room for business, then my travel plans charged. Due to the nature of my job I will never reserve a room I cannot cancel on the day of. When I called for the reservation, a "Cancellation Policy" was never mentioned. When I called the morning of the reservation to postpone my stay to the next week, not only was I told my corporate credit card would be charged for the original reservation, but that the room rate increased $30 over three days!!
I eventually was assured by HI Guest Relations (not the hotel itself) that I would be reimbursed for the credit card charge (we'll see), but the process absorbed several hours of my workday.
Make sure you ask all the right questions when you book a room here: the staff will not volunteer anything.

Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2006

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express over the Easter Holiday. When we got there, we rented the Kids Suite - got a GREAT price with our entertainment card (Otherwise, this room would have been sorely overpriced). The room set up was pretty cool - room with two twins for the kids and king in another room. There was a fridge, microwave and big jacuzzi tub. IT was ok - but this hotel is older and you can tell the room had been converted to a kids suite. I paid $199 over the weekend for this room, and for the area I guess this was good - but there are much nicer hotels in the area that are a better value. The front desk staff were lethargic at best - they weren't too excited to be there. Most of the staff didn't smile or say hello to us.

Downside: We were presented at check in with a pass to Huntington STate Beach. We were told that this was a "perk" for staying so many nights - well...........I forgot to return it that night. The "perk" turned into a $70 charge for not returning it. Yeah - I spoke with the manager who was completely unsympathetic - rude - conceited and I would NEVER do business with him again. He treated me like dirt after I paid $700 to stay at his hotel. I'm quite disturbed that Holiday Inn's would even have a person like this in their network. So be forwarned - if you have a problem there - he won't help. MAKE SURE YOU ARE AWARE OF THIS PASS POLICY BEFORE YOU SIGN ANYTHING AT CHECK IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall - it was a nice place to stay but for the price - there are much nicer hotels around.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Worlygirl00
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed February 2, 2006

We called 2 times and was told the Grand Strand Airport was 13 miles away, when we arrived we found out it was 22+ miles and the taxi charges $1.50 plus $2.40 a mile. We were told by the hotel it would cost $20.00 and the taxi service told us between $60 to $75 one way. The Myrtle Beach International is 10 miles away and they list the taxi as costing $12.(10 x 2.40???)
Also listed as near the ocean, but it is 2 miles at least, and in the middle of the highway and a shopping mall

Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbia, SC
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My wife and I with our 3 boys (10, 5, and 3) always stay in a kids suite. Its a Very nice setup with 2 bedrooms. The masterbedroom is very roomy and has a Hot tub in it. The kids room has 2 single beds and also has 2 nice mats to put down for a 3 or even a 4th kid. The kids room has a TV, VCR and a Stereo/cd player. Only draw back is an indoor pool, which is nice if it nasty weather outside.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 29, 2005

We stayed for 5 nights in July as part of our vacation. It is ideally located if you don’t want all the noise and tourist tat, has Litchfield beach only 10 mins drive south but all of Murtle Beach’s attractions about 30/45 mins north. Brookgreen Gardens which we enjoyed is also very close. There is a shopping mall and plenty of restaurants nearby with a Wendy’s and a Cracker Barrel in walking distance. We didn’t find any of the horrors that other people reported but whilst reasonably clean it wasn’t immaculate. The room was somewhat dark having only a small window, poor lighting and dark decor. It was reasonably roomy, had a refrigerator and microwave and the staff seemed polite if somewhat overworked. The complimentary breakfast was good but the seating area could be larger. We enjoyed our stay here but probably more because of the location than the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank gjm_wjm
Western New York
Reviewed July 11, 2005

I don't know who the other people are who stayed at this hotel, but I found the hotel classy and very clean. It was a little more expensive than some of the hotels in the area but the value was well worth it. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the front desk staff was very accomodating and pleasant.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
The Inlet Sports Lodge
The Inlet Sports Lodge
#2 of 6 in Murrells Inlet
Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East

Been to Holiday Inn Express Murrells Inlet? Share your experiences!