“Loud Barking Dog-loud room-Great location & access.”

Hampton Inn Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Patriots Point
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Overall, we enjoyed the fine location, quality breakfast, and accessibility to Isle of Palms. I'd recommend that they keep big dogs (e.g. black labs) out of the lobby. On the way out, a large lab starting barking and charging at me. Luckily, I was able to avoid him. The owner finally engaged her brain and restrained him. It's a tad-bit annoying and potentially dangerous. Room had quite a bit of lent/dust around window frame - no problem, I gladly cleaned it but it does impact allergies. The room had an excessively loud AC system that would not shut off with the thermostat settings. I would manually turn it off at night - that worked out quite fine. Large over-head blower when you go out the front door is a little exasperating. Experienced a $35, per/nite increase the last night we were there. Thought, it was a bit much; however, I do understand weekend increases - $15, would have been more reasonable. Beds were "hugely comfortable."
On the upside, the hotel is close to freeway, fine restaurants and many beaches. Staff is gracious. Parking is excellent. Lobby is clean & inviting. Curb appeal is wonderful and they attempt to keep the entire property litter free which is great! Genuinely, liked the place!

Room Tip: Try to arrive about 90 minutes before check in. It gives you more options on room selection.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Fengtaida

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Check in was slow and not too friendly but things picked up. Morning food was not as good as most other Hamptons. Bedroom was quiet and was clean. We slept well after they adjusted our thermostat. Prior to the adjustment the room was too hot.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Jeffrey B
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We left our b@b in downtown Charleston, but chose this Hampton as a cheaper option for our last day in the area. We also needed to find a laundromat.

This Hampton gave us good satisfaction!

PROS: pleasant and efficient welcome, clean room at the end of the hallway which turned into a super-quiet room and a replacement iron when the one in our room was defective.

CONS: small serving room for breakfast which turned many of the guests into greedy vultures. Or, maybe this was their regular behavior!

We left the next day. I wouldn't stay here if I was touring downtown Charleston, but it would be handy for Patriot's Point and for the very cool municipal park on the old bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hallway, away from the ice machine or elevator.
1  Thank Nittie
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Although it is convenient to a main road it is in a quiet loacation

You can walk to Patriots Point from the hotel, if you enjoy walking

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We chose this Hampton Inn in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina, beause we hate to throw our money into a room, that we basically just use for sleeping and bathing. During the day we're sightseeing, and with Hampton Inns you know what you're going to get. A clean well appointed room, with modern ameneties and a good hot breakfast in the mornings. The staff was very helpful, specially Cynthia at front desk. She was so nice to handle a request to cut our trip short by one day. The hotel even though not in historic downtown, was a 10 min. car ride from it. The only negative, was that the hotel was a bit tricky to get to, with the mapquest directions. But once you find it, it was not hard to get in & out every day. By the way, we enjoyed crossing the magnificent Ravele bridge to get to Charleston.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

After bicycling 89 miles from Pawley's Island SC, we were greated by a very bubbly, smiling Latoya at this hotel. She was wonderful. We had made several special requests on our reservation, and she made sure we had everything we had requested. The lemonade and cookies in the lobby were great too. We highly recommend this property, especially if you are interested in the location close to Patriot's Point. The room was first class, spotless, and very quiet. Thanks again!

1  Thank funhogs2
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in early May. I liked the place, and although I'd stay again--it saved a good $100/night over staying in old Charleston, and is a quick drive to there--the staff were time and again polite but clueless most of the time. My right (dominant) shoulder was out of commission and in a sling due to a severe injury, so I stayed in a handicapped room so the handles could help me in the bathroom. After checking in, I asked the night front desk clerk if I should walk or drive to Patriots' Point. After all, "Patriots' Point" is in the name of his hotel. He suggested I walk there, saying "I think it's about a mile." That seemed rather far to walk in heat and humidity, especially with a sling on, so I asked if it was somewhat more or less than a mile, or if parking was expensive or difficult. He said he'd never been there before, so I thought I'd ask the morning clerk.
When I got to the room, the door was very stiff and hard to open. Also, the toilet was running continuously. Was the housekeeper stone-deaf that she couldn't have reported that? A repair was done promptly, although it was temporary. The next day I asked the clerk about going to Patriots' Point, and she had even less of an idea that the night clerk. I also asked if there was something they could do about the front door, especially since I was in a handicapped room. It was difficult enough for me, and I can't imagine that someone in a wheelchair could have opened that door. Nothing they could do about that. Interestingly, I overheard other guests complain about the stiff doors, so it's apparently a common complaint.
Fortunately, it didn't take long to find fellow guests at breakfast who'd taken the Patriots' Point ferry to Fort Sumter (start of the Civil War), and they advised me to drive and pay the $5 parking fee. Managers, please inform your staff that the distance, according to my GPS, is exactly 2.0 km or 1.25 mile, and that parking is $5 all day. I also asked the staff to look into a large red stain in the carpet next to the bed. The stain was neither removed nor otherwise later commented on. I would have been satisfied with a note such as "We were unsuccessful in removing this stain at this time. It doesn't appear to be blood, and we'll work on it with other equipment later."
Other than that, I actually enjoyed my stay here. Other than the stain next to the bed, the room was clean, roomy, and everything (but the toilet) worked fine. I would have preferred plastic to paper cups, but there was plenty of work space, and the internet connection was swift enough. Breakfasts were standard for Hampton Inns--filling, warm, well-replenished, although quite SYSCO-ish. The rooms were quiet and well-insulated from sounds from both other rooms and the hallway. I'm a light sleeper and didn't need earplugs.
When I checked out, they promptly had someone help me get my suitcase into the trunk of my car, which I couldn't do myself. I tipped $5. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for "low-maintenance" guests who want a quiet, comfortable place, and don't need much help from staff. Just be sure you have a strong right arm to open the front door!

Room Tip: No need to worry about which side your room is on. The hotel is on a very quiet street and all rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo