“Art deco bar in Mount Pleasant, SC”
Review of The Americano - CLOSED

The Americano
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, South American
Reviewed July 16, 2017

This review is about the two times, in a month or so, that we've been to The Americano in Mount Pleasant. The first time was for drinks after dinner at the end of May with some friends visiting town. We ordered drinks and we sat a table outside. All was fine and we enjoyed being there, but it looks like we were the last customers of the day and they were gracious to let us stay and chat at the table outside even if they closed the bar after 11.
The second time we went there was to meet a coworker after work. We got some beers and a crushed avocado dish with chips which were adequately priced and we enjoyed the drinks and the food.
I've read the other reviews of this place, but our experience was good both times. They have a convenient parking lot on the back.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

Walked in during happy hour with the older gentleman bartender sitting on his phone. I expressed that the Dos XX tasted bad and had him taste it, he said it was fine and poured me another "on the house". Second was just as bad. They revamped the menu to a limited choice that seems way over priced considering they have no clientele. My mother, from out of town, would die for the skirt steak tacos. Now only available for happy hour. Unfortunate, that's what was enjoyed. Not $23 crap. I can understand now why this place has steadily declined. No attention or care to the patron plus over priced items. Might as well grab a sour beer and walk over to Taco Bell right next door.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2017 via mobile

This was our 4th time dining at the Americano. We haven't been for awhile and the menu and quality of the food has changed.
The salad with an avocado "spread" didn't have much taste. There were a few tomatoes and onions on it. Definitely recommend a taco over any of the current salads. Fresh slices of avocado with fresh local tomatoes would improve the taste greatly.

The tacos are the best items on the menu. In the past we have tried and liked the fish tacos.

There is a dessert with 4 churros in ice cream for $7. Two people can easily split one order of churros as it is rather heavy.

I hope the salads will be improved and that the menu will be broadened again in the future.

1  Thank Bluewater777
Reviewed April 18, 2017

Terrible Food. Terrible Service. Not a very comfortable atmosphere.
We stooped in to try this restaurant. We have been driving by for a long time and since I was entertaining friends & family from out of town; I thought that I would take them somewhere that we haven't yet tried. It turned out to be a colossal waist of time & money.
The CEVICHE was just awful. (Keep in mind, my wife is from South America and one of our guests is from Ecuador). They both said that they had enjoyed ceviche in many places around the world, including Cuba. And what ever the stuff is that this place is pawning off on people; is not even close to an authentic recipe. We know that there are several ways to make ceviche, but this stuff this place is selling doesn't meet the standard anywhere in the world.
Also, there is an adorable little girl running around this place and she is actually working here. {Much respect to her}. However, they are teaching her the wrong things about the business. First of all, she is serving water and appetizers: her hands are not clean and her finger nail polish is 50% chipped. (Which means it could be falling off into the food and beverages). They have also taught her to carry glassware by the mouth area of the glass. Filthy dirty habit.
The taco plate was nasty. No flavor at all. The ropa vieja benedict was like something you might find at a Taco Bell. AND the mojito was terrible. I just arrived back from a trip in Miami and The Americano mojito's don't compare...
And finally, while we sat in our booth, a man stopped by to say hello. We didn't complain, because we would have spent 5 minutes educating this man as to how nearly everything we ordered was awful. And once our server, The Bartender, got busy at the bar, we couldn't get anything that we needed. I had to walk around to look for more napkins and condiments. Back to the man that stopped by our table. He told us a story about how this place wasn't doing very well. And that the owner brought him in to fix things... Meanwhile, he was dressed sloppily as if he was heading out to the beach. He had a large cell phone in his back pocket and with ear buds dangling from his head. He proceeded to share with us that HE was here to turn this place around. After his table visit with us was done. He put the ear buds back into his ears and sat at the bar folding silverware in cheap paper napkins, "Kinda like The IHOP".
I trained restaurant managers for The Steak -N-Ale corporation for years, and I can say with great confidence that this trouble-shooter from out of town doesn't know the hospitality business. He is a terrible restaurant manager. If he is wrapping silverware with a cell phone and ear buds in his ears, sitting at the bar, then he is clearly not a professional nor does he seem to have a real steak in this place.
I predict that these people will flounder, waste their money, and eventual lose their investment and ultimately go out of business.

Reviewed April 4, 2017

My boyfriend and I ate at this restaurant yesterday for lunch. The wait for the food was long, the waitress did not come to our table much, and the rice was crunchy. More than that though, our ticket was wrong THREE times. We were charged for a meal and then charged a bean and chicken charge. After pointing this out to the waitress, she admitting to it being a mistake and took it off. However, the corrected bill was still wrong. Our original bill was over $50. The final bill once corrected for the THIRD time was around $37.The waitress originally ran the first bill on my boyfriends card. Realizing the total was wrong, she told him she took it off. By the time we got to the car we realized after checking bank account that she had not. My boyfriend walked back, talked to a manager, who needed the chef to help her take the charge off. It took quite a while for them to figure out how to take off the charge. Awful experience. We have no desire to go back. Poor quality all the way around.

1  Thank Jenny M