“Best deal in the historic district”

Courtyard Charleston Mt. Pleasant
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
philadelphia
“Best deal in the historic district”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed while passing through on a last minute reservation when our usual hotel was unavailable. Worked out great with the location and the ease of parking; will be making this hotel our new usual place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Nashville, TN area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

My wife and I are partial to Marriott properties and booked this hotel as one of two for an extended visit to Charleston. Were it not for the excellent staff, my rating would have dropped.

The hotel doesn't visibly appear to be like other Courtyard properties - this one has more old-South charm inside and out, which is why it's also a higher-level property if you're going to use your Marriott points. Once you've ascended from the lobby, rooms and hallways are familiar sights though slightly more well-appointed than the average Courtyard.

After a very pleasant check-in experience, we went to our room on the 3rd floor. In 5 seconds I said, "we're moving," because the air vent in the bathroom was whistling so loudly. I called down to the desk and was told that the vents shut off at 10pm every night and some rooms experience it more loudly than others, but they'd be glad to move us. Evidently, I wasn't the first to report the problem. The next room was better, but we were directly in front of the elevator and could hear people coming and going all night long. We were also now on the second floor, and the people above us had brought their pet elephants with them while the people next door argued well into the night.

The staff was very, very accommodating and agreed to move us for our second night - all we had to do was pack our bags and they'd come to get them and put them in our new (3rd) room. We were very apologetic for being difficult, but they handled us with great hospitality that we really appreciated.

Being early May, we didn't swim in the pool but did sit in the hot tub one evening until a group of smokers came and lit up.

This Courtyard doesn't have a bistro like other properties - instead there is a sit-down restaurant, which we didn't try. The fitness room was the small standard with stationary bikes and small weights.

Overall a good experience, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful - I don't think it's because we have Gold status with Marriott, but it didn't hurt. This is a very nice property if you participate in Marriott's program and aren't looking to stay in downtown Charleston.

Room Tip: Ask for one where the bathroom vent is quiet!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Recent experiences there were all positive, three nights over a weekend, and then one night prior to flying back to LA. Rooms were fine, though a bit pricey on Friday and Saturday.
Very friendly and attentive staff. Easy access to Historic Charleston without the traffic of that area.
One day room not serviced and manager took money off bill when mentioned to him--without my asking. Breakfast buffet one of best I've experienced, especially for the very reasonable price.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised at cleanliness and "new" feeling of the hotel. After helping my daughter move all weekend, the bed and room was excellent!!! The beds were plush and the room was quite large. I would highly recommend this hotel to future travelers

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Divide, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014

loved staying here. Quiet, easy access to the places we were going to visit. The bed was marvelous, I wanted to pack it up and bring it home. The shower was fabulous. The housekeeping staff was courteous and helpful. Will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: third floor room 301
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I am not a Marriott courtyard fan, even though I am a platinum rewards member, but the courtyards have really let me down with the Bistro's and no more "free coffee", but this one still meets the mark! Great staff, clean rooms and still "free coffee"! The only courtyard I will ever stay in!

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mark M
Ashley M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Charleston Mt. Pleasant, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Mark, Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Courtyard Charleston Mt. Pleasant. I'm delighted that you had a nice trip and plan to return. It was a pleasure having you as our guest. Additionally, as a platinum member of Marriott Rewards, your loyalty is greatly appreciated. Kindest Regards, Ashley Miller-Director of Sales
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Pros: Hotel appeared very clean, staff was friendly, beds were somewhat comfy, bed linens were very nice and comfy, towels were fluffy, room was nice sized and efficient. Small frig in room was convenient. There was a pool and hot tub out our window but it was cold and rainy so we did not make use of that. Cons: Bring ear plugs!! Walls are very thin. I could hear the tv in the room next to our's. I heard every person come home that night, their entire conversations in the hall and the opening and closing of their doors. I heard the elevator chime "ding-dong" every time someone got out of it.....all night long.....and I heard the maids start first thing in the morning with knock, knock, knock "HOUSEKEEPING" in every room on our hall.....got very little sleep on what was suppose to be a relaxing weekend away with my hubby. Also, another pet peeve of mine was that the wifi did not work. We called the front desk and she gave me the number for customer service and some guy in India promptly hung up on me when I explained why I was calling. We were trying to pull up property listings on our Ipads as we were there to do a little research but ended up having to go out to use the wifi elsewhere. That was extremely frustrating. I wish places would not advertise they have wifi if it does not work or only has spotty coverage. All in all the hotel was clean and if you aren't a light sleeper and do not need internet, you would probably have a different experience.

Room Tip: get a room away from the elevator!!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ncbeachmomof2
Ashley M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Charleston Mt. Pleasant, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Good Afternoon,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. I am terribly sorry that you did not sleep well while you were with us. It is important to us that our guests have an enjoyable visit, and sleep is such a vital part of that. I will certainly take your comments to our staff regarding the noise you heard from them during the morning hours. The volume level of our staff is certainly something that can be adjusted and we will take the necessary steps to ensure it is kept to a minimum. Again, your comments are appreciated and very helpful. Additionally, please accpet my most sincere apologies regarding the problems you experienced with our internet service. That again is an issue that we can address and improve. I hope that you will contact me when you are traveling to the area in the future and give our hotel another opportunity to earn your trust. It would be our pleasure to try and exceed your every expectation. Most Kind Regards, Ashley Miller