“Delicious lunch”

Annie's Bistro Francais
Ranked #97 of 354 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Carole, the chef, found a love for cooking while growing up in Paris and spending weekends on a family farm outside the city. There she was immersed in farm life and learned everything from pickling vegetables to butchering chickens. Eating was always a big part of family events and in preparation for these gatherings, she learned recipes and techniques of French cooking. At Annie's Bistro, everything is fresh, using locally grown produce. With no pre-packaging, your food is made to order. You can dine in or take out and during the warm seasons there is outside seating. So come dine at Annie's where you'll always be greeted by one if not both the owners, can experience lively conversation or settle into a quiet nook, all while enjoying delectable food.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Had lunch yesterday and it was DELICIOUS! We sat at the bar, had sandwiches and we both were impressed! Service good and we will be back!!!

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Service was ok. They spent too much time being friendly, losing focus on service. I don't mind them trying to be friendly but be attentive incase we need something. Sandwiches were very good, but the serving sizes were a little small for the price.

1  Thank KZ214
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I heard about this new French restaurant in town and decied to try it for lunch today. We were not disappointed. We each ordered one of the sandwiches served on a baguette and we split it so we could each try a different sandwich. I had the roast beef and brie, he had the chicken salad. Both sandwiches came with a side of chips. The chicken salad was very good but we both liked the roast beef more. We definetly will be coming back for lunch and anxious to try dinner here.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

On June 7th I took my bride, of 45 years, my eldest son and his girl friend to Annie’s Bristo a new French restaurant in Mount Pleasant. We had a good time but were a little disappointed in the overall restaurant. Before I go into my description let me describe our background especially pertaining to French restaurants. Both my wife and I have traveled around France for a combined total of some 12 weeks over a period of years. We have eaten in both large and family run restaurants and hotels where we stayed. We always stayed in the small family operations vice big named hotels or rented a cottage. The finest restaurant was probably the Auberge de l'Ill 2 Rue de Collonges au Mont d'Or, 68970 Illhaeusern, France. On top of this my Father-in-Law was the owner chef of the French Country Inn in Selma NC from 1975 to 1986 when he closed it due to ill health. The French Country was the first NC restaurant to be recognized by Travel/Holiday Magazine, it was recognized annually by Lord,s Locator and in 1986 was named one of the top one thousand restaurants around the world by The Master Chef International Food and Wine Magazine. We think this background gives us some view of what constitutes a good French restaurant.
Our reservations for Annie's Bistro Francais were for 6 pm. We arrived about five minutes early and stood outside waiting with several other customers. The door was unlocked at six and we were told by the young man taking out the billboard we could go in and sit where we wanted, no hostess. The waiter brought us the menus, computer generated sheets of paper with the menu printed on them. The wine list was the same; computer printed no folder and a bottle of water. He gave us some time to consider the menu and drink list. During this time Carol, one of the owners, finished talking to a table of friends and welcomed us to the restaurant and thanked us for picking them for our 45 anniversary and off she went, saw her one more time shortly after the appetizer was brought to us. She spent a lot of time with people she knew but it was clear if they did not know you, you were there and they were not interested in getting to know you. Let me say from the beginning the waiter did a good job, took care of us and only talked when he needed to ask or respond to a question. The only flaw was we had to ask to get more water. We ordered the Charcuterie plate $16 a selection of salami, ham, capocollo, and calabrese, with greens and cornichons as an appetizer. The serving was plenty large enough for the four of us and was very good. We ordered the following: Pork Tenderloin $24 Ayshire Pork medallions prepared with domestic mushrooms in white wine, Dijon and crème sauce; Ratatouille $21 Fresh zucchini, squash and tomatoes prepared with fresh herbs and extra virgin olive oil; Grilled Merquez $23 A North African spiced lamb sausage served links style; and Seared Duck Brest served medium and I had a glass of Charles Thomas Cotes Du Rhone 2011 $9. The entrees were accompanied by potato balls and sautéed asparagus’ and tomatoes. The food was well prepared and in general tasty with the following reservations: The sauce on the pork was heavy and tended to congeal as the meal proceeded. Also the pork was not of the best quality and was fatty. The Ratatouille was good but the eggplant overpowered the dish. The spiced lamb sausage was very spicy which overpowered the taste of the lamb and there was nothing on the plate to balance it. The duck breast was excellent and properly done. The potato balls were just that small round fried potato balls with little to no flavor. The asparagus’ was small very tasty but just a little overcooked. The wine was excellent.
If I were to rate this restaurant against the various French restaurants I have been to it would be a good one star restaurant (three stars are the highest in France). While I thought the cost was a little high for the quality I would go back again.

1  Thank Joe B
Reviewed June 5, 2014

With so many restaurants in Charleston and Mount Pleasant, the true test of whether or not I really love a restaurant is whether or not I will return. I have had some fine meals in a lot of restaurants, but have left indifferent as to when and if I will come back. Not the case with this friendly gem of a restaurant! Even while we were sitting there having our meal, I was plotting my return ("Is tomorrow too soon?" I asked myself.) The food was fabulous and the husband and wife owners conveyed a friendless not found in many establishments. They truly cared about our experience and enjoyment of our meal, and treated us like friends without being intrusive. It was a great Friday night. See you again soon!

2  Thank Charcar