“Excellent Value -- truly amazing!”

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
$21.99*
and up
Historical Charleston Tour with Optional Joseph Manigault House Visit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Bay City, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Excellent Value -- truly amazing!”
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Visited with a group of 6, including senior citizens. What an amazing experience!

The Yorktown itself is truly astounding. Words fail in describing the complexity and spartan nature of a military vessel, even of that size. To see this attraction is to grow in appreciation for our sailors and the sacrifice they make.

The Submarine tour is similarly eye-opening. It seems to be built for a smaller class of human being, the likes of which does not exist in our time!

The whole destination is well worth the cost of admission. I HIGHLY recommend this destination -- truly the highlight of our trip so far!

2 Thank kaadaq

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 220 helpful votes
“Worthwhile for all the family ...”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

... or most of them!

I had been here before, about 18 years ago, and this time returned with my 14 year old son and 10 year old daughter - my wife went shopping!

Both kids enjoyed the Yorktown and the submarine, seeing the flight deck and below decks. Amazing sense of scale on the carrier, and of how cramped life on the sub must have been.

2 Thank jonben
south carolina
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I'm a 36 yo female and I visited with my 53 yo mother and 3 young girls between 10-11 yo and we were all absolutely fascinated by the Yorktown. My mom had gotten tired by the 3rd tour and didn't want to climb to the flight deck but I convinced her to continue on because I knew the view would be worth it. Boy, was it!!!!!!! It was mesmerizing!! I had a whole new respect for naval officers after touring the sub--it was VERY tiny. This is a great place to visit, and I really could've stayed all day. I'm a big history buff and I wanted to read every ounce of information I could. I actually plan on going back alone soon.

3 Thank newtraveljunkie
Decatur, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“One of the best places my family has been to!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

What a great experience Patriots Point is. The USS Yorktown is awesome!!!! We spent several hours walking in, around, and on the aircraft carrier and just couldn't get enough. The staff was great and there is a lot to see. There are two other ships, a destroyer and a Coast Guard ship, along with a submarine that can be toured as well. The destroyer and Coast Guard ship were closed for renovations/repairs while we where there and we could not get to them. I thought the admission price should have been reduced somewhat due to this but it was worth it to see the aircraft carrier. The ship is HUGE and a lot of fun. We also took a boat tour of the Charleston Harbor which I would also recommend. The tour departs from the dock near the Uss Yorktown and was beautiful. I would highly recommend Patriots Point to anyone interested in naval ships. The submarine is awesome as well. Very tight inside but it gave you a very good idea of what it was like to serve on one of these vessels.

3 Thank warrior6020
Indianapolis, IN
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“awesome”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Two adults and two children cost us around $58 for this visit. If you had the time and energy, you could probably spend 5 of 6 hours here easily. The selfguided tour of the Yorktown was amazing. I had been unsure if my wife and daughters would enjoy this experience, but they were pretty much in awe of everything they saw. If I had more time I would have spent the whole day.

2 Thank ColtsFan888