“Great for boys (and girls) young and old”

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My family group of 8 visited Patriots Point in July 2014 and it was a great experience. We were able to explore the aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a submarine. We catered mostly to my sons' pace. Since they are 6 and 3 we covered a lot of ground but didn't take a tour and weren't able to read a lot of the information. There is much wonderful information to learn from the three vessels, and you can take as little or as long as you like. My boys were amazed at the WWII planes inside the carrier and wanted their picture take with each one. We went into the theater on the ship and watch a video of actual footage taken during WWII. The boys thought that was amazing. Afterwards we went up to the runway and saw the more modern jets. Papaw, Daddy, and the boys (and me with the camera) went up and down, and through many parts of the ship where the boys could touch and feel the gears, handles, seats, etc. After a picnic lunch, the boys went back to explore the submarine. One thing to remember if you are going to visit in the summer, especially in July and August, is that it is extremely hot inside and around the ships. They are not air conditioned. Do not let that deter you from going, but bring lots of water comfortable clothing and shades! My boys, even my big boy (my husband) said that it was their favorite part of our Charleston trip, and they have asked to go back. I would highly recommend a visit to Patriots Point for families.

1  Thank Kyleen B
Write a ReviewReviews (3,442)

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We went in the hot of the summer day and that was the only downfall. Very adventurous & exploitable. Was tons of fun with a lot of very interesting things to be read & looked at. Would be great for kids or adults. We are in our mid 20s and found a lot of picture spots, and interesting things to view. The museum inside of it (memorial) was VERY nicely done! Gift shop wasn't much to shop at, but would highly recommend this stop!

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We took our 4 and 6 year old boys here. We weren't sure whether they would like it or not. They loved it. We spent hours exploring the USS Yorktown and the USS Climagore Submarine. You have the freedom to wander thought the whole ship at your own pace. If you have boys, you owe it to them to take them here.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This place is ridiculously overpriced, and you can't see anything without paying. Even the ferry out to Fort Sumter was $17 a person.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Being a former Navy person, I was very excited about visiting Patriots Point in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Containing the aircraft carrier Yorktown, the destroyer Laffey and the submarine Clamagore, there was something to interest every naval enthusiast. Being a carrier veteran, I was especially thrilled to tour the Yorktown. The many aircraft on display even included an F4J Phantom that brought back memories from my past. The 4 hours we spent at Patriots Point flew by and were only marred by the intense August heat. Perhaps I will get to visit again in cooler weather.