“Must see”

and up
Historical Charleston Tour with Optional Joseph Manigault House Visit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We loved this site. Got to tour the SS Yorktown. Even sat in the cockpit of a fighter plane. I really liked that they have a Medal of Honor Museum. Sat in the admiral's seat overlooking the flight deck. It was an excellent experience. Then we caught the ferry to Fort Sumter. I'd recommend this to anyone. I especially liked it being ex-Military. USMC ooorah.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Make sure you have plenty of time to see everything the museum has to offer. There is an aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a submarine. We missed out on the sub because we didn't allot enough time! The aircraft carrier is a bit overwhelming! There are 6 self-guided tours for it alone! It was fascinating to see what life was like for the men who lived on board. I enjoyed seeing where the men slept, ate, and even had their dental work done! My husband loved the engine room and the machine shop! There are many planes to look at as well. Most areas of the ship are accessible to tour. There is a medal of honor museum on board the carrier where you can learn a bit about each recipient!

Be aware that there are lots of tiny stairways to get to different levels of the ship. There are elevators to some levels so a good portion of the ship is handicap accessible but a few areas can only be reached by stairs. Only a couple of areas on the carrier are air conditioned so it's pretty hot in the summer! There is a concession area for drinks and snacks. Bathrooms are clean! The staff member at the information desk was very helpful and will help you plan your tour! Make sure you bring a camera!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My father was in the Navy during the Korean Conflict. He was stationed about a destroyer. Getting to go on board a WWII aircraft carrier, with all the history these great ships were a part of during the great war, reminds me that freedom is never free and many men lost their lives so that we could enjoy the freedoms we have today in this great country of ours. We owe so much to the members of the military and their families. I salute them all. There were many WWII era aircraft as well as those used during the Korean Conflict and Vietnam. I was able to sit in the cockpit of one of the jets flown off a carrier during the time my father was enlisted during the early 50's. If you love military history, this is one place you need to see. There are two ships and one submarine to tour. You will spend many hours just walking around the many sections of the USS Yorktown that are open to the public. I recommend this place as one not to pass up while in Charleston. It is only a few minutes drive from the Holiday Inn Express in Mt. Pleasant (where I stayed).

Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a wonderful experience! The self directed tours of DD 724 and The Yorktown were amazing. There is so much to see and we were allowed access to most of the ships. My husband was on the DD 743 so it was like being back on duty for him. I got to see parts of the ship that I couldn't see when he was on active duty. Makes you appreciate our military and the conditions under which they serve.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

3 ships here: an aircraft carrier, battleship & a submarine. You can walk through all of them. They are self guided tours, and I think it took us about 4 hours to see all ships. Lots of walking & climbing, and it was hot. Drink machines are on board the aircraft carrier. I was amazed at the items still on the ships that were on them when they were operational. Such a great connection to history. I learned so much just walking through and reading the postings.