“Well worth an afternoon!”

Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The history of Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum began in June 1975 when the legendary aircraft carrier USS Yorktown entered Charleston Harbor. A few months later, the USS Yorktown was dedicated as the first ship of the Naval & Maritime Museum on the 200th birthday of the United States Navy. Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum was officially opened to the public on January 3, 1976. Today the museum consists of the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown (CV-10) with 29 aircraft on display from WWII to the present; the USS Laffey (DD-724), a Sumner-class destroyer; and the USS Clamagore (SS-343), a GUPPY III submarine. The Congressional Medal of Honor Society is headquartered here and their official Medal of Honor Museum is onboard the USS Yorktown. There is also a Cold War Sub Memorial and Vietnam Support Base Camp on the surrounding grounds.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very interesting place, where you can tour an aircraft carrier, a destroyer, and a sub. The self-guided tours are clearly laid out, and I even spent the extra $5 to ride in the NASA simulator. Beautiful views of Charleston from the top of the Yorktown!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,443)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Take time out of your day to experience this monument/museum. It is well worth the time. The history contained in this small area is amazing. A true jewel for SC and the Charleston area. I have been multiple times and spent more than four hours over the whole site the first time. Seems there is always something new that I didn't notice the first time.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have been here several time, each time I find something new that I missed the past visit. The Medal of Honor museum is breath taking!! The price might seem a bit high but with the amount up-keep is understood. From what I have learned the state has cut funding for this site by more than half. So I recommend going here before the history here is just that History!!!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

There are 6 different self guided tours on the Yorktown which tell the history of the carrier as well as many other vessels in our Navy. We had the CPO lunch on the ship which was good and reasonably priced. We also visited the USS Laffey, which is an incredible story of survival. Take the time to watch to video on board. USS Clamagore is the submarine pretty much a short walk through tight quarters. Plenty of access to walk through all three vessels. My only complaint is that the theater was closed for a private gathering while we were there

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We visited the Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum on our recent visit to Charleston. We toured the submarine, destroyer and air craft carrier. All were very interesting.