“Great place for brunch”

Southerly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Had brunch at Southerly this Sunday morning after finding Okra Grill packed with people. There was no wait. That was great! My husband had the raisin cinnamon french toast (he shared some with me) and it was really good. I had salad and quiche lorraine, both were very good and and just the right amount of food. I will be back for brunch.
I had dinner there a few months ago and I wasn't pleased with the chicken and dumplings but I think the place is worth a second try for dinner.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We heard that Southerly has the "Early Bird Special" down to a science, so my wife and I went for dinner on a Monday at around 6 o'clock. We were not disappointed. They have a generous happy hour that lasts from about 4:00 PM until 8:00 on Mondays through Thursdays if I am not mistaken. The senior citizens were out numbered by younger couples and large groups of college age diners taking advantage of the great prices on food and drink there. We chose from the special small plate menu at a table by the widow in the bar because of the $3 small plates. Both the restaurant and the bar were nicely appointed and patio dining with much needed fans was available also. The service was prompt, courteous, and patient. We each had several tasty $3 blackened mahi mahi tacos that were excellent and got a very good New Zealand sauvignon blanc for half price. They also have house wines at $3 per glass which vary from week. Sometimes you'll get a bargain on a good wine, some weeks not so great. Our bartender/waiter was very good about letting us taste what they had, so we could choose a wine that we liked.
The menu may not be expansive, but the food and service have been very good in the main restaurant, where we ate once before, as well as in the bar. It would be very difficult for us to buy the ingredients,cook the food and drink a bottle of our own wine for what we paid for our meal at Southerly. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Was taken to dinner with friends to this restaurant and conveniently located in Mount Pleasant, SC. Spent about 45 minutes next door at the market attached to the restaurant and also watched a live cooking class going on. Market had a great selection of wines to purchase and the staff person very knowledgeable. Bought a bottle on his recommendation!
Restaurant was waiting for us with a reservation for 7. Liked the wine promotion of 1/2 price for a bottle on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Wait staff was very good and gave us plenty of time to choose. Didn't get the kind of direction that I like about the menu so I had to do a lot on my own. Selected salmon and was not disappointed! Others ordered different entrees and liked their choices. Live music was an added touch!
All in all a good dinner was had by all and another place to save room for desserts!
Would not hesitate to go back but it wouldn't be my first choice not taking anything away from the restaurant. Offered good value but menu not very creative!

1  Thank UncleMoChampion
Reviewed May 31, 2014

We visited last Saturday night, sight unseen. The facility is first class, both inside on the lovely patio. Ordered a premier brand martini, it was ok, but the olives were the smallest I have seen in a martini in years. Strike 1. The menu was unimpressive, in fact, I have to say, the first time in literally years nothing on the menu was overly appealing to me. I settled on the chicken and dumplings and was severely disappointed. Although the sauce and dumplings were very good, the chicken consisted of a very small piece of breast meat and a chicken leg (bone-in) plopped on top.The portion size was skimpy. Frankly, no one at the table looked favorably on the presentation and we were amazed an upscale restaurant word turn an entree into what for all looked like a child's plate-and then charge $18. We had a good waiter, but the service was slow-did not think it was the waiter's fault. I am not sure I would return. The food was good, but not good value and the menu is very limited.

Also had some live music-which was quite nice. However, we were seated in front of it and it was quite loud, conversation was impossible.

1  Thank Elizabeth B
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Nice restaurant. We ate outdoors because they were featuring a folk band. The food was very good but two different items, (an entree and a dessert wine), were not available even though they were listed. Service was very friendly and prompt. I would recommend it. Good seafood.