“Post House has such a clean and masculine decor and the food is incredible!”

Old Village Post House Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Old Village Post House Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 340 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Venning
Description: Two stylishly comfortable private dining rooms, tasty food, drink and hospitality: all in Mount Pleasant's treasured Old Village.
Columbia, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Post House has such a clean and masculine decor and the food is incredible!”
Reviewed March 8, 2011

This was my first time at Post House. My boyfriend had been wanting to take me there and I'm so glad we went. The decor and atmosphere is very sleek and comfortable, with wooden floors, original architecture, and plush leather chairs. We went for their happy hour, which turned out to be an amazing deal. We shared a bottle of wine for $20, that would've originally been $36. We also got shrimp and grits and a pimento cheeseburger, each for $8. My boyfriend said the cheeseburger had wonderful flavor. My shrimp and grits was THE best I have had yet. They gave me 5 large shrimp, and also blended in sausage and bacon. The service was friendly and the food was prepared very quickly. A must-see restaurant if you are in town!

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank ale5024

“Food great as well as price.”
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Gets busy so make reservations on weekends.

Morganton, North Carolina
“nice dinner in a great location”
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We enjoyed a very pleasureable dinner at the Old Village Post House. Staff was very friendly and attentive, and the old neighborhood is a real gem. I would highly recommend this.

BurghGirl71
“Good Food, loud atmosphere”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I had a late evening reservation on a Saturday night. Parking was a slight problem as the neighborhood has no street lights, but after driving around we lucked into a pull- in spot in the little commercial strip along Pitt just a few doors down from the Post House. (Be aware when driving there after dark, there are no street signs-just sign posts like the old days, so look down, not up.) we were greeted and seated right away-about 10 minutes early. Based on the tables available, we probably would not have needed reservations.

The waiter was an odd fellow-kind of pretentious-he kind of sniffed at my husband when he didn't order a cocktail or wine after I ordered wine. When it came time to order dinner we ordered entrees, then he asked if we wanted salads. I did, but had neglected to order that first. He took my order then turned and left, never looking at my husband or giving my husband a chance to order a salad himself. Very weird.

Our food arrived after a decent interval. Everything was wonderful. I had the shrimp and grits (spicy hot) and hubby had the lobster and scallop risotto; both excellent. My salad was very good- crisp greens and fresh ( newly grown on site?) alfalfa sprouts with a citrus vinaigrette which was lovely. My wine, a malbec, was quite good with the spiciness of my dinner. We were too full for dessert but I am betting they are great- they had what appeared to be along dessert menu, typical of this area I think. All-in-all a good experience. Despite our strange waiter about the rest of the staff was friendly. Each one had a job: food delivery, water glass refill, and some I didn't quite figure out. 4 of the staff staff stopped by to ask us if everything was OK. Overkill? yes.

The restaurant is small and dimly lit which suggests quiet romance, but alas it was not to be. It is beachy in ambiance, but with white linens. Unfortunately we couldn't hear ourselves think, let alone hold a quiet conversation as it was so loud. The guests were loud ( including a screaming baby) and the proximity of the half-open kitchen was very loud. The staff was extensive )a lot of people working there for such a small place) and rushed around busily. In a small place like that it seemed like a beehive all in motion at once. Not very relaxing with things being slammed around or dropped with a crash in the kitchen about 8 feet away. I am willing to say it might have been an off night.
I have to say they are efficient - we were in and out in 45 minutes. Had it been quieter we might have lingered a bit. Not a menu for kids although there were one or two. It is rather sophisticated menu with nothing most kids would like, unless they have a kids menu not included with the regular one. Modest wine list heavy on chardonnay (way too many) with a few by the glass, no beers.

2 Thank BurghGirl71
Birmingham, AL
“Classic southern charm at it's best”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We finally made it in to try to the Old Village Post House on our return trip to Mt. Pleasant after being away for 5 years. Each course was extremely well done, with the crab bisque soup being particularly tasty. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a nice understated night off the beaten path. The wait staff was quite attentive without being overbearing and the location in the old village is a treat in itself.