“Good local Spot”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Good local Spot”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I came for lunch. We were seated promptly and the hostess was very friendly. It took awhile for our waitress to appear so the owner of the resturant came over to take our drink orders. My husband had the okra gumbo which was so delicious! I had the she crab soup which was very tasty. Their corn bread was out of this world delicious!!!!!! For lunch my husband had the friend chicken, greens and red rice. He throughly enjoyed his meal. I had the shrimp poor boy sandwich. The shrimp was seasoned very well and the sauce was very tasty!
We really enjoyed our lunch and will definitely return!!!!

• Visited June 2013

Kansas
“Very glad we came”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I decided to take the family (2 teens and my mom) for dinner there after reading a lot about it on Trip Advisor plus learning about Gullah Culture after visiting the Boone Hall Plantation. Not a lot of people there. But it was almost 8:00 PM and rain from a tropical storm moving in had already started to fall. There was a larger party in the adjoining room and just a few other people with us in the main room. The service is fantastic. The young man waiting on us was very polite and checked on us frequently. We enjoyed the food very much. I wish we would have left room for dessert. This lady is a excellent cook and I highly recommend this place.

Florida
“Good gumbo.”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stopped here on the recommendation of a local resident. I had the gumbo and it was very good. If I am go back to visit the area, I will definitely return to this restaurant to eat.

Aiken, SC
“Average food with Poor Service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I am not not sure what has happened to this restaurant since my last visit a couple of years ago. Back then the parking lot was usually full and the buffet was well attended with excellent food and service. We approached on a Friday during lunch time to find a relatively empty parking lot. The interior has been updated and is very pleasant. We found the buffet gone and were presented with menus. The wait staff seemed depressed and lacked enthusiasm for the menu or the other two dining parties. No smiles, just brief manner of fact replies to questions about the menu. No attempt to engage us as customers or offer suggestions.. The manager did not circulate to greet customers. We had the impression there had been either a change in management or perhaps some other event which accounted for our experience. The menu described various foods cooked with Gullah seasonings, however, we found no distinctive flavors differing from any other southern cuisine restaurant. Excellent collard greens but other vegetables were average. The chicken was dry. We were disappointed with this dining experience.

• Visited June 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great shrimp gumbo and coconut cake”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Liked - Shrimp gumbo and coconut cake was the best I ever tasted a well as cornbread. Plan to visit this restaurant again when in the area.