“Good Food & Service”

Gullah Cuisine Lowcountry Rstr
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was the only restaurant we visited twice during our trip to Isles of Palms. It is located in a strip mall, that dose not look like much from the outside. Inside it is nicely decorated and very clean. The staff were very nice on both of our visits. The food was also very good. I would return there again if I was in the area.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Visited Gullah again for dinner. Just as good as our last visit several years ago. I had the fried chicken, which was excellent and juicy. Very nice crust and well seasoned. Our server was attentive and took care of us well. Others in our group had crab cakes, which were meaty and generous. The scallops on the grilled seafood combo were very good and simply preared. The signature gullah rice was tasty, but a bit cold.

If you want to try something different from the normal fare, this is a good choice. We will definately plan another visit for our next trip to the area.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Went there for dinner for our first night in town. We didn't have many options as they were out of few of the menu items. We had the she crab soup, fried chicken with collard greens and red rice. We learned that we aren't fans of the gullah seasoning, but the fried chicken was good. For the price, there are a ton of other restaurants I'd choose to eat from.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Took my parents and my sister for dinner yesterday evening. After spending two days exploring the towns between Pawley's Island and North Charleston, we were eager to try Gullah Cuisine. Two if us had the Shrimp Creole. The dish wasn't bad (nor was it plentiful). There was nothing at all complex in the flavors. It tasted like great shrimp added to a can of quality tomato soup; we asked for hot sauce to give it a little zing. My mother and sister both had the Smothered Pork Chops which provided much amusement, as the chops were tough and the struggle to cut and chew them was hilarious. They both thought the gravy was wonderful. The sides we chose were sweet potatoes - outstanding; collard greens which turned out to be bowls of collard stalks; mac & cheese - dry and flavorless; the requested hoppin john turned out to be a bowl of red beans and rice that was so dry it was chewy and crunchy. None of the dishes came to the table steaming. Even the muffins were cold and dry. I've dined in restaurants around the world and know that some of the best food is served in unassuming places. Much to my dismay, that was not the case yesterday...hands down the worst meal I've ever had. In hindsight, I wonder if the sides were leftovers from the lunch buffet? Funnier still, with all the food left on the table, the waiter didn't ask if we wanted it boxed. At any rate, I left him a 20% tip because the service was great and the episode with the chops and 'hoppin john' was just too funny.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We read about this place in a travel magazine which featured various restaurants in South Carolina. Out of all places one could go in the state, we were impressed that this restaurant made teh list. It was a failry small restaurant, not fancy, but plenty fine. We were interested in it becasue of the Gullah culture and wanted to try the food. Most of the ancestors of the Gullah people came originally from West Africa, and having lived there for 10 years or so, we wanted to learn more about this.

At noon the owner, Ms. Jenkins offers a rather large buffet of all kinds of "southern" and Gullah cuisine. There was fried chicken, pulled pork, collard greens, spinach, fried okra, beans, and several types of rice, etc. We opted for trying Gullah rice, a special dish which has shrimp, chicken and pork pieces in it. Quite good. That came with a small green salad (just okay) and corn bread. We didn't try any of the desserts.

Ms. Jenkins did serve us part of the meal and I noticed she also replenished some of the buffet line even though she had other employees there. That tells me she is not too important as owner to do hard work herself.

Overall it was a nice experience. Not the kind of food we normally eat, but fun to try while in the area.