“Big Joe is the way to go.”
Review of Melvin's BBQ

Melvin's BBQ
Ranked #19 of 353 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: A South Carolina tradition since 1939, Melvin Bessinger's Bar-B-Q Restaurants are beloved and famous for our St. Louis style pork ribs, chicken and "Best BBQ in Charleston". But don't take our word for it, come on down and experience the flavor at one of two locations, in Mt. Pleasant and James Island. Thank you for your continued support, y'all!
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a fast food style BBQ joint. I have been there twice now. The first time I went I got the Big Joe and I was very happy with my choice. My co-workers also swear by the Big Joe. Definitely a must have if you go there. Now the second time I got the chicken sandwich which was nothing but average and the had mayo on it when I said no mayo. The restaurant and bathrooms were clean. The service was friendly. So remember it is a fast food style BBQ joint. That being said its not that bad. Great for a quick lunch. The seating is limited during a lunch rush so get there early!!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I liked the service; the people working there were friendly but unfortunately the food was horrible. My husband and I ordered 2 burgers and ended up taking one bite and throwing them out...it didn't taste like hamburger meat. The meat tasted different and I can't describle it just couldn't eat it. We left and went somewhere else to eat.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I just happen to stumple on Melvins. The pulled pork was very very good but I was disapoined that they do not have sauses out for me to try and it did take about 15min for me to get my food. Even so I wish I could get as good tasting food at home.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife had the brisket that she liked, and we agreed their cole slaw was very good, with a bit of a garlic taste to it. Their fries were also good. I had their smoked turkey, which I thought would be very good, but I'm afraid the sauce ruined it for me. They have only two sauces available, Southern Red and a mustard-based sauce. The red sauce is tomato-based, but my turkey came doused in a watery tomato sauce that mostly ran off the turkey. It ruined it for me but I managed to get some down, hoping it would improve. It didn't. My wife says the red she had on her brisket wasn't bad, so maybe I should have had that. But honestly, how many barbecue places offer only two sauces? I won't go back if I can help it.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We left Charleston 17 years ago due to CNSY closure. We come back every year and this is usually the first stop! The BEST BBQ & onion rings around! Mustard based...yum!