“A Local's Favorite” 5 of 5 bubbles

Long Point Grill
Ranked #49 of 324 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“A Local's Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I get a lot of information from locals who post on TripAdvisor when I plan a trip. It is so nice to be able to get honest reviews from customers rather than trying to determine "The Best" from advertisements found in tourist brochures, magazines and newspapers. For this reason and as a recent "tourist turned local" in the Charleston, SC area, I thought I would review a few of my favorite restaurants over the next few weeks.

There are so many great restaurants in this area, it is absolutely hard to pick "The Favorite", but there is one that my husband and I visit over and over and my adult children always want to go to when we go out. So, with all of that said, my favorite is without a doubt The Long Point Grill in Mt. Pleasant.

Never heard of it? That's no surprise as it has to be one of the area's best kept secrets. I only heard about it when getting my hair done down the street one day. To get to it from Charleston, you must take 17N into Mount Pleasant, turn left onto I-526, take the first exit, turn left onto Long Point Rd. and it's about half a mile down on the right. It's in a small building nestled amongst shade trees in a somewhat industrial neighborhood. There is no view but you'll be pleasantly surprised at the warm, neighborhood feel of the dining room. The dining room is decorated with architectural objects and has great views of the chefs at work. This restaurant is owned by the same group that owns the Mustardseed restaurants, Boulevard Diner, Sette's, Uno Mas and the Village Bakery. I always enjoy going to each of those restaurants, but in my opinion, Long Point Grill is the best.

The menu is eclectic with enough variety to allow just about anyone to find something they would like. They have a very nice selection of appetizers, soups, salads, sandwiches, entrees including seafood, beef, chicken and pasta, and great desserts from their sister restaurant Village Bakery. For lunch, my husband loves the scallop poboy which is made up of 5 or 6 very large scallops and fried green tomatos and includes a side. My son, says his favorite is the crab cake stack and my daughter usually chooses four vegetables all very nicely prepared. I usually try to pick something from their Specials board which changes on a daily basis. The unique daily specials can blow you away with the combinations of meat, vegetable, sauce or relish they put together. Sometimes it's hard to believe that such ingredients can be melded together, but I always try one if I'm not too late. I have always enjoyed each dish. If we arrive late and the specials have been "86'd", I usually choose the fried chicken breast with mash potatoes and collards for lunch, or the pistachio chicken with cherry gravy for dinner. Add a sweet tea and a slice of chocolate torte and I'm set. Mmmmm!

The staff has always been very friendly and helpful. The managers are very nice and attentive. The Chefs are fun to watch and have never refused a special request . At the end of the meal, a survey card is provided for your comments. This tells me that they are very interested in keeping this restaurant at its best.

The prices are very, very reasonable for the quality and quantity of each dish. Main courses at lunch run about $8 - $10 with a few priced a few dollars more and dinner is slightly more expensive. The wine selection is good and, currently, they are offering 1/2 price bottles M-W for dinner.

This is a neighborhood restaurant with a menu to rival the more expensive downtown Charleston restaurants.

I've written enough. It's 6:10 and I have to go so that I won't miss the daily specials!!!! Bon Appetit to me!!!

mt. pleasant, sc
“Great place to eat...but the name is wrong...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2008

This restaurant is the Long Point Grill, or LPG - and the food is very
good, and reasonably priced.

Great service, fresh presentations and a cozy dining room make this a hidden treasure in Mount Pleasant. It is definitely a "locals" type place. Be sure to try the crab cake tower or she crab soup appy, and my favorite meals: shrimp linguini or the terriaki pork loin.

1 Thank mountpleasantmom
Charleston, SC
“Great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2006

What a great little restaurant, from the same owners of the Mustard Seed (A+) and Boulevard Diner (A+) - always good food for a pretty good value! It's in an unexpected place, though, off of Long Point Road going towards the SPA Wando terminal.

1 Thank kcounter