“Wow....Great Cupcakes”
Review of Cupcake DownSouth

Cupcake DownSouth
Dining options: Delivery
Description: Cupcake’s locally-owned bakery churns out innovative concoctions using the finest all-natural ingredients, like real vanilla beans, sweet cream butter, fresh fruit & rich chocolate. We top them with our signature homemade icing, colorful sprinkles, Reese's, Andes candies, chocolate covered almonds, chocolate chips & more. Enjoy one of 9 daily favorites or try one of our 50 seasonal specials!
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stopped by after lunch next door at Mcalister's, wow really good cupcakes. We plan on stopping by again before we leave the area, it's worth the drive from the area beaches if your staying on vacation like we are. The family tried the vanilla, peaches & cream, red velvet and chocolate, all we're excellent.

Kristin C, Public Relations Manager at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Thank you so much for stopping in on your vacation! We hope it became even sweeter after enjoying a cupcake or two! We hope you have a wonderful time in Charleston and look forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I love cupcakes, so I'm a little more particular when it comes to this delicious treat. I like that they have a base of flavors each day and 4 alternating flavors. Also a negative when you have a favorite and have to wait 7 days to enjoy it again. I really enjoy their salted Carmel chocolate cupcake and they also have a very nice an rich peanut butter chocolate version. My daughter loves the plain vanilla cake with a fudge like chocolate icing. The chocolate cake can tend to be on the dry side. The price for a gourmet cup cake is reasonable for their size. The cake tends to be smaller but loaded with icing. Don't forget to start your punch card for frequent purchase to get a free cup cake.

Kristin C, Public Relations Manager at Cupcake DownSouth, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your sweet comments! We definitely try to offer a lot of flavors as well as have consistency with our flavors. We hope you have a sweet day and see you soon!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I've tried these cupcakes a number of times and they are consistanly tasty and innovative. I most frequently go to the Mt. Pleasant location. A step above most cupcake shops.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had seen something about this place in a brochure at our hotel while visiting Charleston and I wanted to check it out but didn't think we'd actually make it there. We made a trip to Boone Hall and decided to stop in a nice shopping center in Mount Pleasant for lunch at McAlisters when we saw another Cupcake store next door! Of course I had to stop in to check them out. I assumed I wouldn't be able to get anything as I have an egg allergy, but wanted to see what they had anyway. I'm so glad I did! I asked if they had any eggless cupcakes just for the heck of it, thinking they'd tell me sorry, we don't. To my surprise the server told me all of their chocolate cupcakes were eggless! I had no idea they were a mostly vegan place until she mentioned it. I ended up trying the cookies 'n cream cupcake and I was not disappointed. SO GOOD. Part of this could have been simply because it was finally a baked good I could enjoy without worrying about food allergies! Yes, it's a little pricey. But again, it's something I can actually eat. So I don't mind spending it. And I doubt their ingredients are that cheap if they bake vegan. Also, the frosting was to die for! However, I'm a frosting freak anyway. I'm not understanding people's complaints of the amount of frosting or the size of the cupcake for the price. They have the cupcakes on display. You can see them before you make a purchase. If you can see you won't be happy with it, why go ahead with a purchase? Unless you just want to be able to complain about something. Either way, I really enjoyed my cupcake and wish I lived closer so I could have them more often! I enjoyed it enough to get a cute little t-shirt. Great shop you all have! Keep it up!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

They seemed like very good cupcakes. As I am not a sugar person, have no idea how they can be better as people are stating they expected better. Hmmm....we thought the price point was reasonable and they are better than a grocery stores that are the same price if not more. Son had the mint chocolate, chocolate and red velvet. I was surprised he chose a basic flavor, but then I tried it, it was very very tasty. Only had the frosting, but it was very good. He did not taste the cream cheese frosting in the red velvet cupcake where as I did. Everyone has there own distinctive tastes and we thought it was very good. Space was very nice and friendly and I could see a MOM bringing the kids in for a treat or a birthday party quite seemlessly and easy.
I wish they had mini's bc I would buy a ton for people, but you have pre order but other than that, it was a very nice culinary experience.