“There are better Japanese places in Mt. P.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Tsunami
Ranked #126 of 324 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tsunami is a modern Asian cuisine and sushi restaurant with a full bar where providing an exceptional dining experience is our priority. The freshest ingredients ensure exquisite meals from the fun, creative atmosphere of our sushi bar to the intimate tabletop dining in our exotic interiors. Tsunami also offers Japanese tempura, pot stickers, tataki, hibachi and other Asian dishes. We slice our fish to order and create artful presentations to please both the eye and palate. Whether on a date or with a group of friends Tsunami is the perfect place for a night out. Come experience Tsunami, a new approach to hip, sophisticated Asian cuisine.
Charleston, SC
“There are better Japanese places in Mt. P.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been to Tsunami's on many many occasions. It's never my first choice for sushi in Mt. P, but I often find myself there because it is close to Palmetto Grande (movie theater next door) and they very often are offering a Groupon.

Tsunami's isn't the worst place in the world to get sushi, and it is certainly edible...but go somewhere else if you can. Actually, the sushi isn't my biggest beef with Tsunami's, its the hibachi. It is downright terrible. Please, if you find yourself at Tsunami's, do not get any of the hibachi dinners. The rice is really oily, and the grilled veggies and meat taste like propane.

I do have to give them some recognition for remodeling the space a bit and adding more tables. They used to have a stage at the far end of the dining area, that took up a lot of room. The service has also been better in more recent years. I don't know if it underwent a change in management but the servers are a lot more attentive than they used to be and I think the communication between the servers and the hostesses has also improved.

I cannot comment on the bar scene here, but every time we have gone in the past, it seems to be a busy section and a lively crowd. The bar area is ample and is sectioned away from the main dining area. They have some covered outdoor seating, which I believe is mainly used as a smoking section.

If you are specifically looking for good sushi in Mt. P, try Locals Bar or Tropical Sushi. If you are out to have some OK sushi with some cocktails, then Tsunami's will fit the bill just fine.

• Visited February 2013

Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went here for lunch using a Living Social voucher. What a find! Since we're new to the area, we likely never would have found this delightful restaurant in a shopping center. The sushi was great, the staff attentive (the manager even came over to check on us) and the atmosphere very nice. I was surprised to see a few negative reviews; we were very pleased and we've been to many sushi restaurants on the East Coast. We'll come back for lunch and dinner.

• Visited April 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Watch our for the double tip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I went there with a party of six. I have always thought that they will add when parties of 8 or more are dining. But with six, this is new. And quite sneaky. I received my check and they added a "large Party Service 358626" charge on my bill. The waitress didn't disclose this. And the fee cam out to 19.25% of my subtotal. Well I tipped her another 15% even though the service was "God" awful. They snuck that in there on me and maybe I should have inspected my bill fully, but really? Don't go here!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Matthew F
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be much better!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I've been frequenting Tsunami in Mount Pleasant since it opened. We went last night for date night dinner, and I'm sad to say that it has really gone downhill. I thought it was declining a couple of years ago when the restaurant suddenly seemed to become a high school hang out, but my latest experience there was an unpleasant surprise. The ambiance there is gone. The restaurant has been remodeled, and it is unbelievably bright! No what we wanted for date night. The food was still the same and pretty good. Our server was very nice and attentive. With all of the other newer sushi places in town though, I don't know that we'll be back any time soon.

• Visited January 2013
“WAY OVERPRICED...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This place is bizarre, extremely way over prices for something you could go get at your Japanese hole in the way in your local food court. I wouldn't recommend this unless you are wanting to throw $$$$ out for fun....literally