“Now I can say I've been to The Wreck”

The Wreck of the Richard & Charlene
Ranked #49 of 333 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
North Carolina
“Now I can say I've been to The Wreck”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We went to The Wreck on the recommendation of a relative. Lesson learned: read Tripadvisor, too. The food was okay, but honestly, I've gotten comparable seafood five hours inland at a family restaurant that doesn't specialize in seafood. And at maybe 60% of the price.

Every meal is served with the same four sides: coleslaw, which was different form any I've ever had and quite good; one hushpuppy that looked burned to a crisp, but was not and was also very good; a cube of fried hominy that was ... unusual; and room-temperature red rice that could easily have been Rice-a-roni.

My fried oysters were okay, but there weren't many. Glad I got the larger order. My wife had broiled scallops which were good but unremarkable.

The hardest part of the visit may have been the wait. There must've been 15 people sitting on both sides of a narrow hallway just inside the entrance. The restrooms were also on that hallway. Talk about close quarters. While we waited, I was seated where I could see people's food being paper-plated in the kitchen. Ultimately the combination of so-so food, tossed on paper plates, served on a paper table cover, and overpriced, brings me to say The Wreck is not a repeat for me.

• Visited March 2014

Bluffton, South Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh seafood!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Do not be deterred by the appearance of this restaurant! This is a restaurant that I would not have eaten at if not referred by a local, and who knows better where to find great food! Portion sizes were very generous, and this is some of the best seafood I have eaten. Wonderful service, wonderful food, and an overall awesome dining experience!

• Visited September 2013
Brooklyn, ny
“The Wreck and Bowen's Island for the Best Sea Food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The atmosphere is homey, the food abundant, the owners unrivaled in hospitality and big times. Next door to the area's oldest shrimping dynasty.

• Visited November 2013
“Horrible Meal-All good tasted like old grease!”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Worse seafood I've ever had-we were a party of three and all three agree with this review. Food taste like old grease we all left feeling nauseousOver priced-Serve good on paper plates when you pay 20-25 dollars for entree expect a lot more than you receive at the wreck!

• Visited February 2014
Greenville, SC
“Love this place!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

It's hard to find (call for directions), especially the first time. It's certainly not upscale (the plates are paper). It's hot in the summer (there's no air conditioning, just breezes and ceiling fans). However, the seafood is right off the boat, and the service is excellent--and speedy.
Skip lunch if you need to, but be there at 5:30 when it opens and fills right up. Yum.

Visited February 2014