“Very good food, unique atmosphere in spite of wide-ranging reviews”

The Wreck of the Richard & Charlene
Ranked #43 of 344 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed August 9, 2013

No need to describe differently than "Mrsjj204"'s review: run-down hole-in -the-wall, no AC, GREAT simple, interesting, low-country seafood. My fried shrimp were perfect, companions, broiled shrimp & scallops excellent, seafood platter was complete. Giant hushpuppies are delicious, fried green tomatoes are must-have appetizer. 1/2 price bottle wine Mon.-Thurs.!! Wait staff was attentive, courteous, & hard-working for their mandatory gratuity of our party of 12. Not all are prepared for $20 platters but that is restaurant pricing today. No children's menu, no chicken, one "no guarantee" beef plate. It's SEAFOOD! No reservations. See their website. Waterfront area for views, photos, and possibly seasonal seating (no seats outside Aug. 8th). Check out Mt. Pleasant's Old Village neighborhood nearby - beautiful homes & history.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We usually travel to Charleston in December, just at the time that the Wreck is closed for their annual vacation. So for years we have wanted to go, but never could. This past May, we visited Charleston, and finally made our way to the Wreck. We were happy we did.

As many reviews have pointed out, it is a dive. But that's the charm. It s located on Shem Creek, really out of the way, a nice quiet spot. Better follow the directions from their web site, or you may get lost.

The place reminds me of a lot of dive seafood places of my youth growing up at the Jersey Shore. Screened porch, ceiling fans, plastic lawn chairs. You can watch the fishing boats coming and going from Shem Creek. Lots of seafood wholesalers there. (I am posting some photos to accompany this review.) The fish is very, very fresh. Mostly fried, but that's okay; live a little!

We went early, around 5, so there was no problem with crowds. Service was friendly and efficient. We really enjoyed the boiled peanuts served before the meal.

It is a great "dive" seafood place. If you have not been there - JUST GO!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Wreck is an interesting, out of way hole in the wall with great food! It located off by itself down a dirt road with no signage! The Visitors Bureau gives great directions to it! It really is a dump of a building - the place looks like a dive...paper plates, mismatched furniture, NO air conditioning! The good is fabulous!!

Our dinner at "The Wreck" was great! I had the fried triple seafood platter (shrimp, scallops, oysters), my husband and son had fried shrimp and we had all three deserts (key lime pie, banana pudding, key lime bread pudding). The fried seafood was excellent -- lightly battered, not to heavy or greasy. The seafood, being right on Shem Creek, was very fresh and tasty! On each plate was a large hush puppy, which was awesome!! We ordered another side of them! They were large and sweet and darkly fried. We thought they were fabulous but some might like theirs more golden brown. Also on each plate was spicy rice (which neither of us liked), and Ok cole slaw, and a square of fried hominy with jalepeno peppers. My husband loved these but I don't like jalapenos, so I didn't so much. The desserts....ahhhhh......the key lime bread pudding! One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE DESSERTS IN MY LIFE!! I will dream about this key lime bread pudding!! It was creamy and rich and fully of fresh key lime flavor but it also had this perfectly caramelized crust of the bottom! Perfection!!!

I highly recommend going off the beaten path for great seafood in Charleston! (10 minute drive from downtown).

Reviewed July 28, 2013

So the shrimp boats come up Shem Creek and park in a little canal. Right next to one of the boats is an area that the captain off loaded his shrimp and built a plywood wall, plastic chair and shaky table kind of place. Only so many people are allowed insde at a time so you may have to wait outside by the boat, but when it is your time to come in, be prepared for some good seafood and a bowl of boiled peanuts waiting for you. One of our favorites to visit when in Charleston.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

This place was recommended by a friend, and we are so happy we took their advice! It is the type of place that knows it's niche and doesn't try to be anything other than what it is, a very basic and simple place to get fresh delicious seafood. It stands out in the crowd of most other restaurants because The Wreck keeps it simple. There is no pretense or even a hint of fancy here. It feels more like a summer evening supper on a friend's porch than a restaurant. It is warm as there is no air conditioning, but we were comfortable. They bring you boiled peanuts to snack on, and those were delicious. Yes, they use paper plates and bowls but who cares? If you're too good to eat off a paper plate this is not the place for you anyway. We all had the fried seafood platter that cam with fish, oysters, scallops, and shrimp. It also came with red rice, a hominy square, cole slaw, and a hush puppy. Yes, it was only one hush puppy, but it was a big one, and with all the other food it was plenty. Our portions were plenty big and everything on our plates was delicious. I am from coastal South Carolina and have had many a seafood platter in my day, and this one was one of the very best I've had.

This place is a true gem. I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're a laid back type who enjoys being on the water, a good cold beer, and the simpler things in life, then The Wreck is for you!

As for them not splitting checks, there is a sign you have to walk right past to get to the place that states that fact, so it should not be a surprise to anyone. Also, our server was very friendly and attentive. We even asked her for a breakfast recommendation and checked out the place she mentioned. It was also a hit!

We thoroughly enjoyed everything about The Wreck and will definitely be back. Can't wait!