“Disappointed”
Review of 17 North Roadside Kitchen - CLOSED

17 North Roadside Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: A local favorite with an eclectic menu, sourcing local ingredients. Featuring a modern twist on comfort foods such as fried oysters, BBQ Ribs, Beer & Bacon Mac & Cheese, Clammer Dave's Clam Ragu. We provide a unique experience by integrating our local farmers, fisherman, and producers. Enjoy our expansive outdoor patio with a fire place, live music on weekends, and outdoor bar!
Charleston, South Carolina
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We are locals, and this used to be our second favorite restaurant in Mount Pleasant. The great appetizers are gone. My wife and I both tried new ones from the new menu and they would both below average. Regarding entrees, mine was average but my wife's steak was not very good quality and was prepared poorly. We didn't even try dessert. Our service was slow and uninspired.

We used to eat at 17North at least once per month, but this will be our last visit. This restaurant has changed significantly over the past several months, but all for the worse. Maybe it will improve in the future.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank JMBax
17NorthMgmt, Manager at 17 North Roadside Kitchen, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
I would like to start by apologizing for your recent experience here at 17 North. We have recently undergone many changes here at 17 North, we welcome and appreciate any feedback that is provided by our guests, positive or negative.

We are curious to know what dishes you and your wife had while dining with us? We would like to use your feedback to improve our menu and continue to be a place that locals like to dine. We always ask that our guests tell us when they are with us if something is not to their liking, so we can immediately correct any errors we have made. This being said, I would like to inquire as to whether you provided feedback during your visit with us?

We strive to provide great food and service for all of our guests. Again, we appreciate your feedback and strive to get better. We would love for you and your wife to come and join us again. Hope to see you soon!!

“I love this place”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went back to this place this past Saturday and I just love the food more and more. what I like best from this place besides the food is the outdoor patio it is beautiful
I really recommended it. If you are a Foodie, then this has to be on ur list in MP, big changes, great changes, keep it up 17 North!

Sonora, Texas
“Unfortunate Timing”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We chose this restaurant in July for a Rehearsal Dinner in late Octoberand made the final arrangements Labor Day. No one had the courtesy to mention the fact that one month later the Executive Chef and his entire staff would be leaving for another venture. I received a call out of the blue October 10th from the Interim Manager, Michelle that Brandon Florie had left. A new chef would attempt to duplicate his specialties. I should have cancelled right that minute. A chef from Boston cannot cook Low Country food. It was so disappointing. I was upset and my wife could not eat. We were from Texas and our US Army son was marrying a local gal. No one should ever have to go through this experience.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Ray G
“I love the new menu”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I went to this place and I had great experience , after I was reading all the bad reviews ,I am so impressed by the new menu the food is amazing especially the tuna Burger understanding that this place had a big change everyone is new there I can say I am happy with the new team there's some issues with service but everything takes time to get in tracks again see you soon 17 north

17NorthMgmt, Manager at 17 North Roadside Kitchen, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Sunfo:

Thank you for the great review. We love the fact that you had such a great experience here at 17North.

We appreciate the feedback on the food and service, and would love to have you back. Next time you are in, or plan on coming in, please call and ask for us, so that we can thank you in person.

We look forward to your coninued support and patronage.
Charleston, South Carolina
“Fruit Basket Turnover”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have been to this restaurant several times and have reviewed it here before. Things have changed drastically. New chef, new staff, new menu, new wine list, all poorer than their predecessors. The menu is very limited but so scattered it appears that they don't know what they want to be. There was nothing local on the menu. Nothing. Nada. I truly hope the new chef and the new staff get their stuff together but so far they pale in comparison to the previous crew.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BuzzCzar
Jason C, Manager at 17 North Roadside Kitchen, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Buzz Czar,

First off allow me to apologize for your recent experience and assesment of it, here at 17 North. You are absolutley right, that their is a new chef, FOH, BOH, everything is new. We are essentially starting from scratch, and unfortunatley for us, in the F&B World that can take a few months to a few weeks.
I would like to respond to a few of your concerns outlined in your review, and then if you are interested invite you back as guest of ours, and showcase exactly what we are about.

Concern 1. The New Wine List- Unfortunatley, I think you may have confused us as we have not launched a new list to date, however, if you would like, we can keep you informed as to when that is going to happen. And invite you to our upcoming wine events.

Concern 2. New Chef, yes we do have a new chef. He is a NYC & Boston Transplant. He was brought over after opening a new restaurant in Charleston to rave reviews. He also would love to have you back as a guest of his, to experience to new menu.

Concern 3. New Menu, yes we do have a new menu. As far as being all over the map, our menu, is based on modern american food, new interpretations on classic dishes. Also, incorporating southern influences into it.

Concern 4. Locality of items on menu. Our chef has and will reassure you that 90% of our menu is completely local, regional, and sustaiable. Our produce is almost completely sourced through Sweet Bay Produce, and Ambrose Farms on Wadmalaw Island. Our Beef & Pork, is sourced through the Southeast farms program, which sources exclusively through family farms in alabama, tennesse, and north carolina. Our shellfish, and fish are sourced through Clammer Dave Belanger.

Conern 5. Menu limited. Again, I think this may have been an oversight on your part, as our menu is actually much larger than previous. The only difference is that we print on much smaller paper and it may seem like a smaller selection.

Again, we appreciated your feedback and strive to only get better. We would love to have you back, please feel free to reach out to us.