“Exactly what I expected”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mt Pleasant-Charleston
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I booked a Junior Suite for my family of four. I was very pleased with the rate as everything in downtown Charleston (which is just 5 minutes away) is about twice the price. We had an easy check-in, a very clean room, minimal noise, comfortable beds, and an overall good stay. If there are any negatives at all, I would have to say that there could be more fruit options at breakfast but there are plenty of other items available. We had rainy weather so we did not get to enjoy the pool but it looked very inviting. The staff was very friendly and I would not hesitate to book here again.

Room Tip: I would definitely pay extra to have a junior suite if you have more than two people. The extra room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
ReaganSimmons, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mt Pleasant-Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your time with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We were for the most part very happy with our stay. We booked a king room but got 2 queens and was told it's just the luck of the draw and we were early checking in and would have waited for the king room. The breakfast was ok.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Last year my wife and i stayed at the full holiday inn across the street. This year we decided to try the holiday inn express. Breakfast was included (and a lot of variety, hot and cold). The room was very clean and honestly seemed better than the ones next door. Clean pool friendly staff and awesome location between downtown charleston and the beaches. Will be back again next year!

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here alone for 4 nights while in town to help a family member get situated in her new home.The location is good with easy access to downtown; The rooms are large and clean. However, the insulation is poor. I could hear every step the occupants made in the room above mine. I could even hear their shower. They were very active and loud at all hours which disrupted my sleep. Breakfast was very crowded. The "hot" food consisted of frozen microwaved items. I asked for a banana which was not available until my 4th morning there. Therefore the only "fresh fruit" option was an apple. The gym was tiny and not well appointed (a couple of treadmills and an elliptical). The pool was tiny (residential size) and had little free space surrounding it, so it was not possible to relax without getting splashed by children. There is no safe in the room. Given the pros and cons, I thought the price was high. I would stay here again if the price was competitive, but would ask for a room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor so you won't hear occupants above you.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank su432
ReaganSimmons, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mt Pleasant-Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I do hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Newer, clean and modern. Just the way I like my hotels. Great location and easy access to the Charleston suspension bridge over the Copper River, just 1/2 mile down to the park and walkway on to the pedestrian lane. Ever wanted to do the Copper River Bridge Run in April - well you can literally do it year round. Fun place with lots of excellent food dining experiences nearby along with Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

Will stay here again when I am in the area! Excellent staff very helpful and go out of their way.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for reviewing your time with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night and it was a great experience. The room was clean and very comfortable. The hotel provided Bath and Body Works toiletries, which was nice. The whole hotel looked very new. Also, the hotel was conveniently located close to Boone Hall Plantation. I tried to extend my stay but they were booked solid! I'd definitely stay again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
ReaganSimmons, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mt Pleasant-Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and I hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I know what to expect with Holiday Inn Express hotels, and I didn't find it here.
Our TV didn't work, and our bathroom was not all that clean. Our room was not cleaned during the day. They claimed we left the do not disturb hanger on the door, but it was not on the door when we got back to the hotel. It was there during breakfast before we left for the day. If the staff is going to make their rounds during breakfast hours, they need to go back around after breakfast hours. Since we didn't get housekeeping services that day, I asked at the front desk that night for washcloths. They didn't have any. She gave me two hand towels. Her "fix" for the TV was to make sure the remote could see both the TV and the cable box like I was an idiot. Our bathroom had hair from the last guest(s) in the corners and the shower wasn't all that clean. The room smelled of mold and mildew from the HVAC unit. The HVAC unit didn't work too well. It was either too cold or too hot with only one degree of adjustment on the thermostat. The breakfast area was very crowded. That is probably a design problem. Too many rooms for the number of tables in the breakfast area. There was only one staff person to take care of the breakfast area. She never wiped the tables and only replaced the food items when they were totally out. she was in no hurry to do her job. I had to wipe down the table after I had to wait for it to become available.
Night staff was nice, but less than helpful. The room was up to date, and the bathroom was nice, just not all that clean. I would look for another hotel if I were going to be in this area again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank marcusjc
ReaganSimmons, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mt Pleasant-Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

I am so sorry to hear about the issues you had while staying with us. We always strive to give our guests an exceptional experience and I am sorry we fell short in your case. I wish these issues had been brought to my attention while you were here so that I could have addressed them with you immediately. I will address all of your concerns with housekeeping and maintenance so we can prevent these mistakes from happening again. I do want to explain why the front desk instructed you to make sure the remote had a clear sight line to the tv and the cable box. She did not tell you this thinking or implying that you were an "idiot" I assure you. This is a common question we have with our tv's, as some people do not realize that something may be in the way of the sensors. Again I apologize and I appreciate you bringing this to my attention so that I may rectify the issues. Please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any service to you. rsimmons@charlestownehotels.com