Open today: 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM

from $53.00
from $69.00
from $126.14
3,539 results
All reviews gullah culture slave cabins house tour the main house oak trees working farm slave street coach tour first floor slave life tram ride butterfly garden live oaks tour of the grounds live presentation cotton dock big house
Reviewed September 6, 2018

We spent the entire day here and did it all, the house tour, the tractor trailer ride, the slaves quarters, but the very best, do not miss, was the black woman a decendant of slaves, who gave a great talk about the origin of the Gula language along with her beautiful voice. Seriously, don't miss this tour.

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank Ted K
Reviewed September 5, 2018

Many things to see and learn about History and culture.The grounds were incredible and the employees did a good job telling the story. I would have liked to see more of the house but otherwise very happy.

1  Thank tiffyjjenkins
Reviewed September 5, 2018

One of my favorite plantations in Charleston! The Avenue of the Oaks is breathtaking. The slave house history is great and the Gullah presentation will leave you speechless. Our tour guide in the main house was fantastic! The butterfly house and grounds are beautiful. And the wagon tour of the farm itself is super informative. If you're going to see a plantation in Charleston, this should be on the top of your list.

1  Thank MichelleK4542
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are vacationing in the Charleston area, and I really wanted to make a visit to a plantation. I had narrowed it down to Boone Hall and two others, and I am glad that I chose this one.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful - I probably took at least a couple dozen pictures. This place was also used for scenes from The Notebook, which is one of my favorite movies, and that may have swayed my decision a bit in choosing this place.
There is a line of original slave houses (Slave Street) and inside each one is a bit of information about slavery life. I found it very interesting, and since I wanted to read everything, it took me about 30/40 minutes to get thru all of the cabins.
They also offer tours of the mansion, which wasn’t all that I had expected (that’s the reason why I gave a 4 star review instead of 5) You are not allowed to see the bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, but only the library, dining room and ‘man cave’ on the first floor, which was disappointing.
A couple of other very enjoyable things at Boone Hall are the presentation by a Gullah woman (I don’t remember her name, but her stories and the songs that she sang were great) and you can also take a wagon tour of the plantation, to ensure that you get to see all of the grounds.
I would most definitely recommend visiting Boone Hall. Just allot yourself a good couple of hours if you want to experience everything they have to offer, and bring a bottle of water with you!

1  Thank jessicacR2562TN
Reviewed September 5, 2018 via mobile

There are other ways to spend your time and money. Lots of farmland but precious little gardens. The tours were historically and politically incorrect. The Boone plantation was a sad place for those who lived through slavery and Jim Crow. The presentations were sanitized so that everyone seemed happy with his fate

1  Thank Pappylongstockings