“Great trip!”

Boone Hall Plantation
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Many things to see and learn about History and culture.The grounds were incredible and the employees did a good job telling the story. I would have liked to see more of the house but otherwise very happy.

1  Thank tiffyjjenkins
Write a ReviewReviews (3,463)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"cotton dock"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

One of my favorite plantations in Charleston! The Avenue of the Oaks is breathtaking. The slave house history is great and the Gullah presentation will leave you speechless. Our tour guide in the main house was fantastic! The butterfly house and grounds are beautiful. And the wagon tour of the farm itself is super informative. If you're going to see a plantation in Charleston, this should be on the top of your list.

1  Thank MichelleK4542
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I are vacationing in the Charleston area, and I really wanted to make a visit to a plantation. I had narrowed it down to Boone Hall and two others, and I am glad that I chose this one.
The grounds were absolutely beautiful - I probably took at least a couple dozen pictures. This place was also used for scenes from The Notebook, which is one of my favorite movies, and that may have swayed my decision a bit in choosing this place.
There is a line of original slave houses (Slave Street) and inside each one is a bit of information about slavery life. I found it very interesting, and since I wanted to read everything, it took me about 30/40 minutes to get thru all of the cabins.
They also offer tours of the mansion, which wasn’t all that I had expected (that’s the reason why I gave a 4 star review instead of 5) You are not allowed to see the bedrooms and bathrooms upstairs, but only the library, dining room and ‘man cave’ on the first floor, which was disappointing.
A couple of other very enjoyable things at Boone Hall are the presentation by a Gullah woman (I don’t remember her name, but her stories and the songs that she sang were great) and you can also take a wagon tour of the plantation, to ensure that you get to see all of the grounds.
I would most definitely recommend visiting Boone Hall. Just allot yourself a good couple of hours if you want to experience everything they have to offer, and bring a bottle of water with you!

1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

There are other ways to spend your time and money. Lots of farmland but precious little gardens. The tours were historically and politically incorrect. The Boone plantation was a sad place for those who lived through slavery and Jim Crow. The presentations were sanitized so that everyone seemed happy with his fate

1  Thank Pappylongstockings
See more reviews
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Went to tour the plantation and I guess my expectations were too high. The manor house was actually built in 1936, which is mentioned, but only saw 3 rooms. Furniture is just "antiques" and was not impressed. Checked out the butterfly enclosure, I'll stick to viewing more elaborate ones because this was mediocre. Going through the "slave" homes was interesting. They portrayed that accurately and didn't call them indentured servants, as other sites were.