“Love the oaks drive”

$126.14*
and up
Charleston Adventures Day Trip to Charleston from Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
Tuscumbia, Alabama
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Love the oaks drive”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

The best thing about Boone Hall is the oaks drive. The house is nice and you only get to tour the ground floor. It's only been there since 1939. The fourth house on the location. The slave quarters is a very good history lesson. Not sure it's worth $20 per person

• Korean first
Peachtree City, Georgia, United States
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Interesting but.....”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Whereas Boone Hall is a very old plantation when it comes to farming and some of the out buildings, the home was built in 1936. It's very nice but you only see 4 rooms and entrance hall, all on the main floor. We didn't get to see the dock area because a wedding was being held there. It was nice that the entrance price included everything (house tour, driving tour around plantation, slave quarters, garden, etc) and the staff was very nice and informative. But if your wanting to see a real plantation home, you need to go somewhere else

Visited March 2014
North Carolina
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Plantation and Gullah Culture”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Beautiful entrance to this plantation with the live oaks guiding you in. The house tour was nice, but as they tell you numerous times, this is the fourth house on the site. Roaming around on our own and visiting the beautiful gardens, the brick slave houses, and the cotton dock was very fun. We could move at our own pace and take our time where we wanted. The Gullah talk was very interesting and very informational. Our presenter was very engaging and talented. The "wagon" tour of the grounds was also very good. I would recommend allowing at least 3-4 hours for your visit to the plantation to fit everything into your schedule.

Columbia, Illinois
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The drive was breathtaking, going down the mile lane. I went here with my sons JROTC group and loved every minute we spent here. I definitely suggest trying the fried peanuts sold in the little cafe on the property. I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of the home. They kept talking about how this was the site for part of the movie "The Notebook", but I was more impressed with the movie/book "Queen" by Alex Haley. If you watch this movie, make sure to notice the variety of rooms they did a lot of the beginning of the film here and it was kind of thrilling knowing that Halle Berry who portrayed Queen, was on this property too. It is like stepping back in time. My youngest will be taking this tour too when he goes in April of this year.

Visited May 2013
Westernport, Maryland
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Beautiful mansion.”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I had a mixed time here, but I still am rating this one as very good. Here is why. The plantation itself is gorgeous and you will immediately recognize the "Avenue of Oaks" as you come into the plantation site. The house is also beautiful, but is from the 20th Century (1930s) and thus if you are interested in homes from the antebellum era, this is not your place. They do have several original brick slave dwellings in which they have done a very nice job creating a museum to African American history that progresses through time as you move from cabin to cabin. Additionally, there is a butterfly pavilion and cotton gin on site. Here is why I was disappointed: I was there on an overcast day, but not rainy (while there was a forecast for rain). Specifically, I wanted to participate in the guided "Slave Walk" that talks about the history of slavery and archeology currently being done there as well as the "Gullah Culture" presentation. On the bulletin they gave me coming in, it listed times for each. I showed up for the Slave Walk and no guide ever showed up....I even waited for 15 extra minutes. I then went to where it said the Gullah Culture presentation was, waited, and then no presentation ever occurred. The 25 of us that were sitting there decided to leave after 15 minutes and then we noticed a sign towards the front that said it had been moved......but no one had told us and we were already too late. The gift shop and restaurant are also currently closed.