“OK if you have nothing else to do”

Boone Hall Plantation
$126.14*
and up
Charleston Adventures Day Trip to Charleston from Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Boone plantation is a working farm. If you think you are going to see a real plantation house your not, it was built in the 1900's. There are some old slave quarters left, a small shop with food and beverages and a falling down old cotton mill. There really aren't many displays of old plantation life so don't expect to see a museum - you are just taking a ride around an old farm.

There is a gal that does a good job on talking about the gala language but the gal that did a short talk on the slave quarters was rude and condescending.

The entry fee is expensive and all you get is a 1st. floor tour of the house and a trolley ride around the farm. I guess they did a few movies out there and you get to see the two rows of trees that they rode down. Other than that was not a lot to see.

I would find something else to do for the price.

There are newer reviews for Boone Hall Plantation

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have wanted to visit Boone Hall Plantation for several years and finally was able to do so today. I had a great time with my 14 year old daughter. The tree line drive was awesome and then to see the horses in the pasture to the right were beautiful. I was so excited to see a cotton patch next to where we parked. The first thing we did was a tour of the property on a tram that only runs every 1/2 hour and holds maybe 20 people. It was a busy day and the tram was full by the time we got there but we were so fortunate that Eddie was called in to take the rest of us. He was awesome!!! The tour of the house and gardens were good. I would highly recommend the Gullah info/talk @ the #9 slave cabin. It is only 3 times per day and takes about 1/2 hour. I was moved to tears. I would like to quote her "my story, your story, our story, and his story". She was telling us it's all just HISTORY. She was wonderful. Had a great day.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Boone Hall Plantation in our opinion is the best plantation to visit while in Charleston. We took the house tour (very informative), the slave history tour (very informative with a great guide) and the plantation tour that took us around the property. The entrance, line with American live oak trees is breathtaking. There is an American live oak tree that fell during hurricane Hugo that I'd still leaving though now on its side. An amazing tree, it continues to survive even though it is now horizontal. We highly recommend this site to help you learn more about the local history.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Boone Hall Plantation is a very worthwhile visit to make; it is very educational and could be a wonderful learning opportunity for children, but not too young!
It gives you a good perspective of plantation living and sadly, of slavery.
The only unfortunate thing is that of the house itself, you only get to see the bottom floor. People live in the house and understandably they don't want tourists up and down the stairs and visiting every room and hallway.
Still, a very worthwile trip.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We arrived at 2 pm and we barely had time to see everything we wanted, it was so interesting. The driveway lined with live oaks was a spectacular frame for the pretty house, which, although built in the 1930s, had the look and feel of a historic home. The tour was short and sweet, let by an excellent guide; the outdoor tour was excellent, led by a fun guide. I enjoyed seeing the butterfly house, and even the cafe was good. One slight irritation was that we kept getting to the end of the line for the coach tour and missing out. Third time lucky...! We ran out of time to do the slave houses justice, but learned enough to have an appreciation of what plantation life was all about and what the conditions were for the slaves. Why do I not give this an Excellent? It's the only plantation I've been to - I just don't know how it compares.