“Great historical place with phenomenal views.”

Boone Hall Plantation
$126.14*
and up
Charleston Adventures Day Trip to Charleston from Myrtle Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place was better than advertised. Breath making views that started with the oak avenue as you enter the property and never seemed to stop. Really good place to visit if you are at all interested in history. I would suggest that you do the carriage tour, very informative.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived around lunchtime and went to Hospitality Centre as advised. In about a minute we were given times for the various elements of the visit. First was 'Exploring the Gullah Culture' at 1.30. So we had a very rushed lunch and rushed to get to the furthest slave cabin in time. Blackboard said it took place at 11.30 and 3. But 50 - 60 other people also turned up - and waited and waited. Eventually a tour guide told us that times had been changed, they were trying to organise something but to come back at 3.

So we went to the History Talk where the speaker apologised and said times changed on 1st November but message hadn't reached Hospitality Centre. We were there on 3rd November! Did it really take 3 days for them to notice? He said we could do the 2.30 house tour we'd booked and still see most of 3 p.m. showing.

House tour was very disappointing. Our group was so large you couldn't see what was highlighted and it took a long time for the group to move from room to room.

We did get to 'Exploring the Gullah Culture' at 3 and it was excellent. But not run by Boone Hall. This says it all.

We looked at the 'new exhibit' slave cabins. This is a worthy effort but the presentations are far too long.

The Plantation Coach Tour was quite interesting and entertaining but by this time I was exhausted. It could have been so much better if we didn't have to rush from place to place - I seem to have walked along Slave Street half a dozen times but still didn't get time to talk to the basket maker!

At almost $20 a person they need to get their act together!

2  Thank Viv-Essex
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was not impressed by the food or the price. People love this restaurant, but every time I go there, I am disappointed. I went in to eat this past summer and after looking at the menu and prices and thinking about how I didn't really enjoy my food that much the last time I ate there, I got an apple and left. My apple was mealy and I threw that out as well. Not my favorite.

1  Thank Carol F
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Entrance is fantastic, better than pictures, slave cabins interesting, House no great shakes. Tour of working farm worth a look. Gardens small but colorful. Worth it for the entrance

Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

We were torn between this plantation (which has a furnished reproduction mansion built in the 1930s) or another Charleston area plantation that dates back to the 1790s (but it empty of furniture and more of an archeological site).

We choose Boone Hall because we wanted to feel the grandeur of the period furnishings in the mansion. Plus we heard the slaves cabins here are original, built by the slaves themselves starting in 1790.

The sensitive telling of the slavery story and of local African American history was a highlight of our four hours at Boone Hall Plantation. The African American lady told her people's slavery story powerfully. The shuttle ride around the site was a bonus.

Admission to the Boone site was about $18 a head but worth every cent (sure beats a museum in Salem, Mass which was almost as much and lasted 30 minutes).

The main entrance through the avenue of dozens of live oak trees, with their hanging Spanish moss, was spectacular.

1  Thank ozeeboy