“A cautionary tale”

Days Inn Mount Pleasant-Charleston-Patriots Point
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Whenever you go to a hotel, even one you’ve been at before, make this a rule. CHECK OUT the room before you CHECK IN. This will save you a lot of grief.
This hotel has a pet policy, that if you are travelling with a pet, you are placed in a smoking room even if you are a nonsmoker. There is a penalty (their word) of $100 if you require a nonsmoking room. What? I foolishly went to the room thinking how bad can it be, and well it was very bad. It stunk of smoke so badly that my eyes and throat started to burn. I tried to get rid of the stench by putting on the fans and opening the door but to no avail. So my husband and I returned to the front desk saying that if we couldn’t have a nonsmoking room, we had to leave. I was hoping they would help me find another hotel in the area that was pet friendly, and would provide a nonsmoking room.
The front office clerk went into a tail spin. She said we could leave but because we were in the room more than half an hour we would have to forfeit the nights rent. Further, if we didn’t check out in the morning in person, we would be charged for the next two nights that we were cancelling. They said that had no one that could check the room to verify that nothing had been disturbed. Other than turn on the fans nothing had been disturbed. Because we were confronted with this threatening situation; we felt that we had no other choice then to remain in the room for the night and breathe in the fumes from the second hand smoke. It was a terrible experience. Even lighting a candle and using the can of Lysol they gave us, didn’t help remove the awful smell. I never slept a wink and I felt ill in the morning.
We spent 33 days in South Carolina and everywhere we went, we were greeted with wonderful Southern Hospitality. When looking back on the holiday, this hotel experience stood out like a sore thumb. I decided to contact Wyndham Hotels Customer Care to see what they thought of the despicable treatment we received there. They told us that because the hotel policy was to charge the nights rent after being in the room more than one hour, and they said, I was there over the one hour, therefore they couldn’t help me. Well that’s news; the clerk told me one half hour was the policy for forfeiting the nights rent and we were in the room for maybe 30 minutes from check in to the time we went up to complain about the smell and wanting to leave. So in fact they revealed that they had no right to threatened to keep the money. We were well within our rights to leave. Also it was 3:15, well before the 4:00 time of cancellation.
So I repeat CHECK OUT the room before you CHECK IN. Once you’ve signed something you’re out of luck.
This hotel has a restaurant attached, called the Huddle House. You are to receive 10% off your bill when you show your room card. At dinner and before we ordered we showed the card and had the waitress write the room number on the bill. The dinner was fine but when we received the bill, the 10% hadn’t been taken off. I drew her attention to it but she said she’d put it through the cash register and it was too late to alter it now.
The next morning for breakfast, I ordered one egg over easy. When it came there was a clear watery substance running all over the plate. I realized the egg wasn’t cooked. I complained and asked for a new egg and she said that was the way they made eggs over easy there, and it was my mistake for ordering it that way. I thought I was going to throw up.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marilyn K
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Mount Pleasant-Charleston-Patriots Point

Reviewed April 20, 2013

1  Thank Joy C
SalesMTPDI, Sales Manager at Days Inn Mount Pleasant-Charleston-Patriots Point, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel was clean, employees were friendly. It's close to Shem Creek and downtown Charleston. Only thing is I wish they allowed pets over 25 lbs.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank your for your review and we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

1  Thank Johnny M

Reviewed April 17, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Location very relaxed - rooms and hotel nicer than expected. Only bad point was the attached Huddle House Restaurant which should be dynamited and never rebuilt.

Answers below use #3 as not applicable/not used/no opinion.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
SalesMTPDI, Sales Manager at Days Inn Mount Pleasant-Charleston-Patriots Point, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and will certainly address your concern with the hotel GM and Huddle House owner.

Reviewed April 10, 2013