“Great for business, would love it for pleasure”

Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Beautiful Hampton Inn. My room was small but very well decorated and very clean. Wi-fi was excellent and hot breakfast was wonderful. There is a ton of great eats and shopping nearby. I wish I had spent more time there. Extremely close to the Isle of Palms and convenient. I was there for business but I would love to take my family there for a nice trip to the Charleston area.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LoshWVU
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms

Reviewed July 16, 2007

This hotel has so much charm for a chain hotel. The lobby was so pretty with hardwood floors and rattan furniture. Had a small pool in a lovely courtyard. The continental breakfast was not just cereal and pastries. They had biscuits and gravy and waffles and fruit. They had cookies in the afternoon. The location was great. You could walk to the Mt. Pleasant Town Center. The rooms were like any other Hampton Inn.-pleasant and clean. The staff was very helpful with directions to local attractions. Glad to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Petitechat
Reviewed June 23, 2007

After trying to get the best rate on several of the travel websites, we called the hotel directly and got a better rate...go figure.

We went for a four-day weekend, just my wife and I. We usually stay at Hampton Inns if there is one available. This one did not disappoint. Our room was smaller, but we preferred it that way and booked it as such, as we were headed to the beach most of the time and didn't need any ammenities for business and the like. The room was clean, stocked nicely, and was quiet (we were on the top floor). And, as has been done in most if not all Hampton's, the bed was newer and very, very comfortable. Nice linens, too. Everything worked well. The front desk checked in with us about 30 minutes after arrival to make sure everything was satisfactory, a nice touch.

True, it did not have a tub--only a shower. And the commode was probably the loudest I've ever heard. But outside noise was negligible, as was traffic in the corridors.

And kudos to the staff...among the friendliest we've encountered. The breakfast attendant was particularly nice, and breakfast was fully stocked until about a quarter past 10, unlike the experience of a previous visitor.

Overall, I thought this was a great place to stay. There are plenty of places to eat nearby, especially in the newer center just south of the hotel (along with all kinds of shopping). There is a very nice grocery store immediately behind the property (especially convenient), along with everything from a car wash to a steak and sushi restaurant within walking distance (although why you'd walk to a car wash is beyond me...).

At only about five minutes to the Isle of Palms park and beach, this Hampton is right were we wanted to be. We were very satisfied.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HookBallHook
Reviewed May 21, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a three night getaway to Charleston. Our stay at the Isle of Palms Hampton Inn was wonderful. It is obviously an older facility, but it was clean and comfortable. And quiet, despite being sold out. Good location...easy access to the city. With a shopping center next door. The staff was friendly and helpful. Loved our king bed. Good-sized bathroom. Would have liked some towel racks or shelving in the shower. The breakfast was standard fare, but was kept fully stocked. All in all, a pretty good value, given the price of hotels in the Charleston area.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank gladysg
Reviewed April 29, 2007

I stay at Hamptons all the time. This is an older one that is just okay. No bath tubs - just showers, very noisy, breakfast said until 10 am but it was actually ran out just after 9:30 and they will not stock it after that - had to go out to brakfast. Got my bill wrong, but corrected it. It is in a good location though

Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank ducknc
Reviewed July 13, 2006

Okay, I know it was the week of 4th of July (I won't make that mistake again either!), but the problems at this hotel were unacceptable. First of all, we chose to stay in a suite with a "fully equipped kitchen". Yes, there was a refrigerator, microwave and stove top that all worked. However, there weren't enough plates and glasses for our family of four to eat on and almost NO silverware or cooking utensils to cook with. The items that were there were in terrible shape.

In the bedroom, the closet door was so damaged that we elected to remove it completely ourselves for fear it would fall on one of the kids. The towel rack in the bathroom was also broken. I removed it multiple times after having it almost hit my kids in the head when they tried to dry their hands. I finally HID it so the maid wouldn't attempt to put it back without having it fixed. Half of the drawers didn’t work properly in the dressers. They would fall out completely if you tried to open them, causing you to have to catch them before squishing a toe.

We vacation regularly, and we have RARELY called the front desk for anything. However, we called the front desk repeatedly about these various issues. We also requested a blanket for my kids more times than I can count. We never had any of our requests fulfilled. NONE. We just quit calling.

Now given all of this, I would have still rated the hotel “average” because of the location and price. However, the room was dirty. The tub was so bad, I refused to allow my children to take a tub bath – they had to shower. The floors were obviously not vacuumed thoroughly in a LONG time. The kitchen area was awful. The sheets did appear to be clean, but the comforter was in need of laundering.

The pool is small, but it is located in the middle of the hotel so it is away from the “outside world”. The pool water was quite cloudy, and there usually were either too few or no towels available at all by the pool. It looked like they received a shipment of towels while we were there, so hopefully the towel situation has been resolved by now. The water was dirty enough that I was uncomfortable swimming in it, but I have two small children that I did not want to disappoint them on our vacation.

We ate the breakfast each morning. I would say it was average. I was disappointed in the lack of fresh fruit available some days, but there was an abundance of cold cereals, oatmeal, Danishes, juice, milk, biscuits, and an offering of hot eggs in various combinations. I was happy that bread was available and a toaster (along with butter/jelly).

Overall, I would say that this hotel is probably one that used to be nice. If the staff was more competent and it had been maintained better, it could still be “nice”. However, it has been allowed to get very run down and the staff seems to have no pride in their work or desire to maintain proper levels of customer service. I must say I was shocked that this was a Hampton Inn. My experience with them has always been much better than this.

• Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank cmkristen
Reviewed April 26, 2006

Room was average size. Continental breakfast was good but not great. Pool was small but pleasant and in a center courtyard area. Larger lobby than most Hampton Inns where I have stayed --and very clean --people were actually visiting and relaxing in lobby. Found the room to be very clean also. Nice mattress, (for an enjoyable sleep) big fluffy pillow --4 to a bed, and big fluffy and clean comforter. I probably will return to this hotel

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business