Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have been very hesitant to publish this review for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, this hotel and it's staff has all of my contact information and credit card, etc. This puts me in a very risky situation. Also, I feel like though my experience was horrible, according to many other reviews, my visit was a fluke. I have went through several channels to remedy this and thus to avoid this rating. I'm still waiting. I have received an apology. But that's it. So much for "Hamptons 100% Satisfaction guaranteed" policy.
In the end, 2 months later, I have decided to post. It is worth the risk and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what we did.
I will start by saying the lobby area and pool area is beautiful.
In brief, during our (late night) check-in the front desk person was rude. Not rude like "not much of a smile" or "no extra information was given." Rude like RUDE. And then not long after, when I came back with my room complaint,SUPER rude AGAIN. I have NEVER experienced anything like it.
And about the room. Yes, it was a bit worn. A little dingy. I can live with that. But the stench when I opened up the door smelled as if someone had used the carpet in the corner for a urinal. And it had not been cleaned. At all. Tub. Sheets. But the bed had been made... And towels hung up neat and tidy... Ewww.... But let me go back. This would not have been the problem that it is except for the FRONT DESK. I would have gladly packed up my bags and moved to a new fresh, clean room. But the reaction I got from the front desk.... Grrr.....
In the end we moved to a new room and checked out early the next morning. We found another hotel in the area (which was amazing by the way! See my other review) in the Hilton chain.
I could say sooo much more but it is actually sickening.
By the way, the morning checkout front desk person was soooo sweet and kind. I only wished she had been the one to work the night shift. :(

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MLFsmiles13
Kelly F, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Charleston/Mt. Pleasant-Isle Of Palms, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. We will work with our housekeeping and front desk staff to ensure that we provide a greater level of service. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. If you would please contact me directly, I will be more than happy to resolve this for you. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you are looking for a good hotel near the beach but close to alot of restaurants, this is your place. We got a 2 Queen Suite, since we have a small child. Worked out great since the suite has a microwave, stove and refrigerator. There is a grocery store, package store and several restaurants located just behind or the next block over. Breakfast was a little crowded, but not too bad for Labor day weekend. I will stay here again on our next trip to Isle of Palms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have stayed here many times and always have enjoyed my experience. While the standard double queen is basically that, standard, I have to say the Suites are sweet!!! I also like the surrounded pool, especially when the kids have gone to bed. The location is great, basically the corner of hghwy 17 and the Isle of Palms Connector, and close to alot of things you need while away from home, ie: Bi-Lo grocery walking distance and many dining also close. Just minutes from the beach and also historic Charleston. The staff for the most part are very pleasant and helpful and provide the service expected at a Hampton. Good stay and I will do it again.

Room Tip: Staying Suite style is the only way to go
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank true7
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Great Hampton Inn, Priced just right for the property and level of service. We stayed here for two nights and could not have been more pleased. Staff was great, always smiling and breakfast was a notch above similar priced hotels.

I hope to return to Charleston SC and stay at this property.

P.S. there is a lot to do with in walking distance, eat, Drink, and Shop and it is easy to get on 526 to be anywhere in Charleston quickly.

The Breakfast does get packed after 9:00 am.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Hampton Inn, Mt. Pleasant. I was on a business trip and the hotel was most convenient to Isle of Palms. From the receptionist who greeted me at the front desk to the wonderful "breakfast ladies" who helped me with breakfast the next morning, every employee I came in contact with was very friendly, smiling and very helpful. My room was large and very comfortable. I had an excellent night's rest and the bathroom was updated. Others have complained that the hotel was not clean but I found it to be very clean and the decor was very attractive. I will certainly stay at this hotel when I am in the area either for business for a pleasure trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were on vacation and stopped there for one night I thought that in general everything was realy but it might be a bit expensive, room was clean and confortable and employees were freindly. Would consider going again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The owner of this Hampton Inn is barely keeping it up to brand standards and that is my main gripe. The bathrooms are updated and the TV hook-up is Xfinity; those are plusses. The internet connection is good and fast. The room and linens were clean but who doesn't expect that as basic criteria. However, half of the furniture is gone compared to other HIs where I've stayed this year including one on the far west side of Charleston.

There is no desk/work space - as advertised - and no desk chair, no side chair, no floor lamp, only one night stand, no luggage stand, no mini-fridge, no microwave. So, the room looks bare with its two queens with their HI lumpy comforters, one low table in front of a wall-mounted hotel mirror and a small three drawer chest of drawers, two SC prints framed over the beds, and the carpet is getting a bit threadbare. There is an older AC window unit that is noisy but it works.

I decided not to move hotels because of its proximity to my planned activities but I did discuss the quality of the room with the front desk. After reading Tripadvisor reviews of this hotel and the other HI in Mt Pleasant (which apparently doesn't clean your room if you booked through an online broker), I made on-line reservations via Hilton's website. I am a Hilton Honors member and used a AAA discount. I asked the front desk lady if I got a bare room because of the AAA discount. She said 'no' that all 'standard double queen rooms' were furnished like this. I pointed out that other HIs were fully furnished and that their web page mentioned amenities that weren't in the room. She didn't know what the webpage advertised and, while being pleasant enough, she offered nothing else except a shrug.

I'm not in the mood to discuss this with the manager. No one from this place has responded to any TripAdvisor comments good or bad. I will send a letter to Hilton though when I get home. I stay at other chains so I do have other options that I consider have equal or better quality for the same price range.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family