“Pretty good value for the money”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Pretty good value for the money”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Charleston. It was my mom, my aunt and myself.. We chose a room that had two double beds and one sleeper sofa.. I was worried it was going to be tiny as they said it was the only room in the hotel with this set up. I was actually plesantly suprised at the room we had. We werent squished at all.The room was very clean, beds were very comfy and all and all we had a pretty good stay. The only negative were the bathrooms. They are old and in need of remodeling bad. They were clean though, but the tub and the toilet just needs a makeover.

I researched everywhere in Charleston to stay and for the quality and the value, this place wins hands down. Its super close to downtown and also Isle of Palms. I have also stayed here twice before several years ago. I stayed in the two bedroom, two bath suite one of those times, and that was very very nice and the best choice if you can afford it.. It just wasnt in our budget this time..

Room Tip: Go with the two bedroom, two bath suite.. they are the nicest
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Byccri,
Thank you for staying at the Mainstay Suites. We appreciated your business, and thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We're glad that the room accommodated your needs and thank you for noting that our location is convenient to the Charleston Downtown Historic area. We hope that you will return again very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

STAY AWAY!!! This hotel was a designated hotel for a regional soccer tournament. We presumed despite some bad reviews that the tournament officials would not use substandard accommodations. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Our first room had food on the floor and roaches scurrying everywhere when we walked in. Even the desk chair was covered with roaches eating food out of the crevice between the seat and seat back. Second room was musty smelling, poorly cleaned, unswepted, mold all over the bathroom and the ceiling was peeling and cracking from water damage. House cleaning was a joke, every time we saw them they were watching TV in the rooms. Hotel policy, rooms are only cleaned once a week! None of the other families on the team were happy with the accommodations. DISGUSTING!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Wellijoy,
I apologize for the delay in responding to your review. Please accept our sincere apology for issues that you encountered during your stay. We have worked with the soccer groups for many years, and greatly value their business. Mainstay Suites addresses these issues seriously, and I regret that there was nothing noted about your issues in the Manager On Duty log so that we could directly contact you. Upon reading your review, we immediately contacted our commercial pest control company. We contract for pest control through a leading commercial pest control company, called Ecolab. We requested that they make an additional visit, and while they did not alert us of an issue, as a preventative measure, we asked them to treat the rooms accordingly. Again, we sincerely apologize.
Lima, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at Main Stay Suites in Pigeon Forge and were expecting the same thing, however the pool (if that is what you can call it) was a great disappointment. About the size of a postage stamp. Staff was very helpful, but this location has nothing on the one in Pigeon Forge!

Room Tip: the double suite is very nice when traveling with a family. you basically get 3 different rooms to...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2013

First of all I have never in my life written a review of a hotel/motel but I feel like people should know things before they book with this hotel. Our room seemed clean when we first got there but when I woke up during the night there were roaches EVERWHERE and i am not kidding. We called the front desk and the man was very nice and said we could change rooms because until an exterminator was called nothing could be done. We made the wrong decision and decided to go buy bug spray ourselves and spray the room. We came back sprayed and went to bed. I stopped counting after 37 bugs were killed. I spoke with a different person at the desk and he said unfoutunately once you get bugs, you can spray but they go into the walls and come back. Needless to say we were not compensated for the bug spray we bought...nothing was taken off of our room stay and we left early. We will NOT ever stay here again. The only thing I care about a room is that it is clean and having bugs is not clean.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Missy254
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a king size suite and my nephew and his family got a 2 bedroom suite w/ 2 bathrooms. Very nice & clean. Plenty of towels. Kitchen with fridge; stove top; microwave and coffee maker. Breakfast included. Outside pool with patio. Pond with turtles the kids loved to feed! Very nice hotel and kid friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during our visit to Charleston. We loved the location! Mt. Pleasant was a great location for visiting the sights. The 2br/2bath suite was large and comfortable for 2 couples traveling together. The breakfast provided was good and enjoyed sitting outside the breakfast area in the morning - drinking our coffee. In our suite, we had nightly issues with the air conditioner. It sounded like a plane was taking off or we were by a very busy freeway. We brought this to management's attention right away and were unable to switch rooms. Upon leaving, we made several phone calls to rectify this matter. We may consider staying again due to the location but would check other properties in the area first.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Candy L,
Thank you for staying at the Mainstay Suites of Mt. Pleasant, and for taking the time to write a review. Mainstay Suites is one of the few hotels in the area that offers two bedroom suites with two separate bathrooms. The kitchen and living room area is shared living space with an air conditioner in the living room, and ceiling fans in each bedroom. We regret that the air conditioning unit was noisy, and are very sorry that the hotel had no other available rooms for relocation. Despite our maintenance departments best interest, sometimes things break beyond our repair ability. We are glad that you enjoyed the area, and hope that you will return to Historic Charleston and the beautiful Low Country soon.
Jacksboro, Tennessee
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The suite was fairly nice. When I called they said it had been renovated recently, which I could tell, but they must have forgotten the bath rooms during renovations. Old looking and dirty tubs. Couldn't find any hot water after my wife showered. Had to take cold to luke warm showers. Dangerous kitchen. The overhead light in the kitchen was glass and drooping down on one corner. Was afraid it was going to fall. Bed fairly comfortable. Very small room. Breakfast was skimpy and nowhere to eat. 2 tables I think and 30 or 40 people just don't get it. Had to eat outside in the heat. ( AND HERE IS THE KICKER ) Check in at all other motels I have stayed in automatically asks how you are paying for your room, which I brought cash and when I told her I was paying with cash, she informed me that my ATM debit card had already been charged and she could reverse it, but it would take 10 days to credit back to my account. In the meantime I had 3 checks come thru my bank and was returned for lack of funds which costed me $28.00 per check so Mainstay Suites charged me for the room on my card plus costed me another $84.00 extra to my bank. Pretty expensive stay. The little things you expect to be taken care of is not one of Mainstays priorties. Would not stay again and would not recommend staying for anyone else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple