“Comfortable - good value”
Review of MainStay Suites

MainStay Suites
Ranked #23 of 25 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at Main Stay Suites in Pigeon Forge and were expecting the same thing, however the pool (if that is what you can call it) was a great disappointment. About the size of a postage stamp. Staff was very helpful, but this location has nothing on the one in Pigeon Forge!

Room Tip: the double suite is very nice when traveling with a family. you basically get 3 different rooms to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 14, 2013

First of all I have never in my life written a review of a hotel/motel but I feel like people should know things before they book with this hotel. Our room seemed clean when we first got there but when I woke up during the night there were roaches EVERWHERE and i am not kidding. We called the front desk and the man was very nice and said we could change rooms because until an exterminator was called nothing could be done. We made the wrong decision and decided to go buy bug spray ourselves and spray the room. We came back sprayed and went to bed. I stopped counting after 37 bugs were killed. I spoke with a different person at the desk and he said unfoutunately once you get bugs, you can spray but they go into the walls and come back. Needless to say we were not compensated for the bug spray we bought...nothing was taken off of our room stay and we left early. We will NOT ever stay here again. The only thing I care about a room is that it is clean and having bugs is not clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Missy254
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a king size suite and my nephew and his family got a 2 bedroom suite w/ 2 bathrooms. Very nice & clean. Plenty of towels. Kitchen with fridge; stove top; microwave and coffee maker. Breakfast included. Outside pool with patio. Pond with turtles the kids loved to feed! Very nice hotel and kid friendly. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during our visit to Charleston. We loved the location! Mt. Pleasant was a great location for visiting the sights. The 2br/2bath suite was large and comfortable for 2 couples traveling together. The breakfast provided was good and enjoyed sitting outside the breakfast area in the morning - drinking our coffee. In our suite, we had nightly issues with the air conditioner. It sounded like a plane was taking off or we were by a very busy freeway. We brought this to management's attention right away and were unable to switch rooms. Upon leaving, we made several phone calls to rectify this matter. We may consider staying again due to the location but would check other properties in the area first.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Candy L,
Thank you for staying at the Mainstay Suites of Mt. Pleasant, and for taking the time to write a review. Mainstay Suites is one of the few hotels in the area that offers two bedroom suites with two separate bathrooms. The kitchen and living room area is shared living space with an air conditioner in the living room, and ceiling fans in each bedroom. We regret that the air conditioning unit was noisy, and are very sorry that the hotel had no other available rooms for relocation. Despite our maintenance departments best interest, sometimes things break beyond our repair ability. We are glad that you enjoyed the area, and hope that you will return to Historic Charleston and the beautiful Low Country soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

The suite was fairly nice. When I called they said it had been renovated recently, which I could tell, but they must have forgotten the bath rooms during renovations. Old looking and dirty tubs. Couldn't find any hot water after my wife showered. Had to take cold to luke warm showers. Dangerous kitchen. The overhead light in the kitchen was glass and drooping down on one corner. Was afraid it was going to fall. Bed fairly comfortable. Very small room. Breakfast was skimpy and nowhere to eat. 2 tables I think and 30 or 40 people just don't get it. Had to eat outside in the heat. ( AND HERE IS THE KICKER ) Check in at all other motels I have stayed in automatically asks how you are paying for your room, which I brought cash and when I told her I was paying with cash, she informed me that my ATM debit card had already been charged and she could reverse it, but it would take 10 days to credit back to my account. In the meantime I had 3 checks come thru my bank and was returned for lack of funds which costed me $28.00 per check so Mainstay Suites charged me for the room on my card plus costed me another $84.00 extra to my bank. Pretty expensive stay. The little things you expect to be taken care of is not one of Mainstays priorties. Would not stay again and would not recommend staying for anyone else.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The suite was nice with a with a love seat pullout bed in living room and a separate bedroom.There was a nice little kitchen with some dishes and utensils. Our room was very quiet. The Breakfast room was just the small lobby area with only a few tables or chairs. We had to balance our plates on our laps while sitting on a nice couch that probably had many spills on it. Most guests must take their breakfast back to their room.

Mount Pleasant is small community with shopping and restaurants close by. NOTE, be sure to find out how to go one street over from the hotel to go to places in Mt. Pleasant. If you leave from the main exit you must turn right and then you have no choice but to get on the bridge and go over to Charleston where you will have to maneuver through traffic to get back on the bridge.

I was traveling with my son and located this hotel in Mount Pleasant, SC which is just over a beautiful bridge that connects to Charleston. Rooms can be very expensive in the Charleston area and this hotel was a great value in a nice location with easy access to historic sites.
My main complaint about the hotel was the directions from the Charleston airport listed at the MainStay web site. They were very vague and it took us almost an hour to find the hotel, mainly because the highway number was not given and neither was the fact that we had to cross the bridge to Mt. Pleasant.

Room Tip: Away from stairs/elevators, work out area, breakfast room and pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1903Oceanfront, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear CS,
Thank for staying at Mainstay Suites by Choice Hotels. I apologize for the confusion on driving directions. MapQuest and GPS units may list inaccurate information as Mt. Pleasant, SC is just now in the completion stage of a major road project that has changed many turning options and streets. I'm sure that your review will be helpful to others. The hotel is glad to provide directions by calling the front desk directly at 843-881-1722. We appreciated your business and hope that you will return soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel just off Hwy 17 at the base of the Cooper River bridges. You can be in downtown Charleston in 7-10 minutes or to Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island in 15! Very family friendly! The staff are very helpful. We are traveling with our two teenage boys. They love having the 2BR/2Bath layout. There is also a sofa sleeper. There are flat panels in both bedrooms and in the common area. This is our new go-to place when we're in the area!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mlelliott
1903Oceanfront, Manager at MainStay Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Mlelliott,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I'm sure that your description of Mainstay Suites' proximity to nearby attractions will be helpful to other travelers. It is our goal to become your Charleston, SC hotel of choice. Come back soon!