Upon arrival at the Shem Creek Inn, we were pleased with the creek and park views, location and ease in finding the place. After parking and checking in, we were expecting a room with one bed because that is what the desk attendant told us we had in our room. Actually, he didn't tell us that -- he told our six year old that he should plan to sleep on the floor. We were surprised when we opened the room and there were 2 queen sized beds. We were happy the little one didn't have to sleep in the bed with us, but slightly disturbed that the front desk attendant had no idea what he was talking about. The decor in the room was mediocre and the room seemed clean enough. The balcony was cool, but the fact that the sliding door not only wouldn't lock because a HOLE represented the place where a door handle should be. A long broom stick was supposed to be adequate to secure the sliding door? I don't think so. After dinner on the town, we came back to see that there was a loud bridal party in addition to the boisterous bar crowds at the adjacent restaurants. Normally this wouldn't cause a problems, as we are not prudes. The walls were so paper thin that I could hear the man next door snoring at night. Needless to say, I didn't get a good night's sleep. When my 6 year old woke up about 8 am, he suggested we go downstairs and eat breakfast. I had a stale english muffin and he had apple jacks cereal. He took a few bites and found a hair. He found another. We then got another bowl of corn flakes for him... We found yet another piece of hair. I took this as the universe telling us we needed to eat in Charleston for breakfast. While I was looking for some cream (that apparently doesn't exist there) for my coffee, the desk attendant (who had only been attending her personal calls and not greeting any guests) came out to replenish the donuts... with her bare hands... and took one back to the desk to eat... in front of people. Too bad they're missing out on a lot of wedding business, as we could not fathom recommending this place to any of our guests. This place would have been ok for a $69 a night stay. Unfortunately, they did not live up to the pricetag.
One last thought: the parking lot was a mess of mud puddles, poorly marked spots, and one-ways that always seemed to be the wrong way no matter what direction you went.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by lowcountry wetlands there is something here for everyone. From bird watching to seeing the change in the tides and watching the gracefullness of the dolphins jumping near the shrimp boats. Let our courteous staff welcome you to your home away from home. Offering you a clean and comfortable atmosphere with outstanding customer service, we are "Charleston's Best kept Secret". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Orbitz so you can book your Shem Creek Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shem Creek Hotel Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Sc