For a Christmas get away I planned our first trip to Charleston South Carolina. Usually for our Christmas stays we like B&B's but for this trip I chose to stay outside of downtown and this "inn" sounded just like something we would like, on the water with a relaxed feeling. I base my decisions after reading the reviews which I take with a grain of salt. I must have been feeling generous when I booked this reservation.
The location was great (although the parking lot was a wet mess which never dried up) Being on the water was nice but the only thing you look out on are the bars/restaurants there is a park next door that does go out into the marsh. The outside is rundown but I chalked that up to being on the water. The front desk staff were all very nice as was the maintenance man both times we saw him to fix the toilet in our room.
The first night we spent in our "deluxe" room the toilet left puddles on the floor which was addressed quickly. However the bedroom and bathroom were in desperate need of cleaning. The paint and wallpaper on the walls was stained and peeling the ceiling tiles were rimmed with dust or mold, the a/c vent was black and on the ceiling right over the bed there was a huge cobweb larger than a golf ball. But the bedding and towels were clean. We are not snobs and don't expect to stay in the Ritz but we do like expect a clean room and have to worry about getting sick.
The next morning when we advised the front desk of the still leaking toilet they moved us to the room next door and knocked of $10 per night. We were fine with that, it was a better room for us because it had less windows so it was darker for sleeping. We did tell the guy at the front desk to let the cleaners know they missed the cobweb (he seemed to embarrassed). The second room had a cobweb on the ceiling but it was between the 2 beds. Upon our return that evening we found that our room had not been made up so when we went to the front desk to ask where to put our trash we informed the nice young lady of the cobwebs in the second room (she too seem very embarrassed).
All in all our stay was a nice one. We had a clean bed and hot shower.
I also want to mention that if you stay here there is a trolley that picks you up in the park which is next door and it will take you around to several different places and bring you back so you don't have to loose your covered parking spot (if you are lucky enough to grab one) in the summer they team up with the water taxi. Contact Lowcountry Trolley Loop Tour it's a hop on hop off it's $15pp if you buy online $20 at the door and afterwards I saw a Groupon for $15 for 2
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by lowcountry wetlands there is something here for everyone. From bird watching to seeing the change in the tides and watching the gracefullness of the dolphins jumping near the shrimp boats. Let our courteous staff welcome you to your home away from home. Offering you a clean and comfortable atmosphere with outstanding customer service, we are "Charleston's Best kept Secret". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Shem Creek Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shem Creek Hotel Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Sc