When I set out to write this review I had in my mind that I was going to be pretty harsh. However as I wrote I realized that there were more positives than I had given the hotel credit for as the negatives at the time seemed to block these out during our stay. The hotel is in an excellent location right on Shem Creek near some OK restaurants. The view from the creek side rooms is very nice with the shrimp boats and restaurants. There is a place to rent kayaks meters away from the hotel and there is a board walk out into the marsh. While I did not check into it, it did appear that there were some sort of boat charters operating from the dock area. Aside from that there did not appear to be too much else to do and you pretty much have do a good hike, take a boat or a drive your car to do anything else. The hotel itself shows it's age and seems in need of some updating. The lobby area did not inspire me as it seems plain and in need of a face lift as well. The room itself was just OK. The beds were clean and comfortable but the shower curtain in the bathroom was falling down and the door could not be opened fully without forcing it past the toilet. There also was some black stuff on the caulking around the tub...not sure what that was. The noise from the restaurant/bar right under our balcony until the wee hours of the morning may be a bother to some but there are plenty of rooms away from the bar area if this is a problem. The staff at the front desk did seem very friendly. The breakfast area is very small with only a few tables inside and it did not appear to be maintained throughout the entire morning as the tables were covered with crumbs and liquids from previous diners as was the counter. We only went through once so this may have been a spot condition. The selection of food items was pretty basic and included bagels, english muffins or a toaster waffles however there are restaurants within walking distance. The pool in my mind was probably the best feature of the hotel. It was uncrowed at the time we were there and the water was reasonably cool...quite a feat in the middle of the summer in South Carolina. I wish I could say more positives here but the negatives and the front desk staff just did not make this a memorable stay for me. In my humble opinion you are paying for the location not the quality of the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded by lowcountry wetlands there is something here for everyone. From bird watching to seeing the change in the tides and watching the gracefullness of the dolphins jumping near the shrimp boats. Let our courteous staff welcome you to your home away from home. Offering you a clean and comfortable atmosphere with outstanding customer service, we are "Charleston's Best kept Secret". ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Shem Creek Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shem Creek Hotel Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Mount Pleasant
- Shem Creek Sc