“Shameful restrooms”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Shameful restrooms”
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I really hate to write a bad review I really can't believe they've done no maintenance on the restrooms in this places in years. If you are the owner or the general manager of this place and you are reading this review please go in the bathroom with some cleaner and a caulking gun this is not a fast food restaurant. I couldn't see these bathrooms improved in 45 minutes caulking around everything is nasty looking and cracked open it's like a bathroom gas station somewhere in the middle of nowhere. The food was ok the service was okay I didn't get exactly what I ordered but that's tolerable what's not tolerable is if you go to the restroom to wash your hands before the experience begins you will be disappointed. We've gone there once a year for 8 years and its progressively gotten sad I won't drive 40 miles round trip to this Gilligan's ever again.

Moncks Corner, South Carolina
“Okay but a bit expensive”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Food is quite good but I find it's overprice for the quality and quantity. Best location around thought. Worth a visit but bring your wallet.

• Visited February 2014
“Worst Dinner Ever”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

After seeing this restaurant from the road for several years, my husband and I decided to have dinner here last night. Thinking that since the restaurant is right on the canal, it would be nice to sit outside on the water, we were looking forward to dinner as it was a beautiful evening. However, we discovered there is no outside seating, so that was disappointing. We were then shown to our table which was next to a table of Duck Dynasty wannabees in full wardrobe, who voiced their opinions, loudly, on all topics. We were also treated to several loud phone calls of equal enjoyment. Now we get to the food. The only good part of this meal was the hushpuppies that are brought with drinks...load up on those. I ordered crabcakes, coleslaw and green beans; my husband - fish tacos and a tossed salad. The waitress brought my coleslaw out first along with my husband's tossed salad, saying she brought him ranch dressing since she hadn't asked him what kind he'd like, so he had her bring the one he wanted instead. I don't usually eat coleslaw like an individual salad, so I picked at it until my meal came. The crabcakes were very pale looking and the green beans appeared to be from a can and barely warm. I took one bite of the crabcake and could barely bring myself to swallow. It seemed like between the two crabcakes, there might have been one tablespoon of a canned crab split between them with the majority of the crabcake consisting of warm mayo and chives. I've never sent a meal back before and told my husband that I couldn't eat this and would like to send it back, but he said he'd swap with me and try and eat it. I took a bite of his fish taco and, honestly, it was the tiniest piece of fish with a little lettuce and tomato that I've ever seen. We had a coupon for a free piece of key lime pie and I was hoping to get a little food in me so I was looking forward to the pie. The slice of pie was a limp, pale green looking soft substance in a crumbly graham cracker crust, and at this point I gave up and just wanted to get out. I might add the restaurant is at the end of a road that ends at the canal and is adjoined with a small rv park with huge potholes in the road out...nothing scenic about this place. There are too many other great restaurants in close-by Summerville and Charleston to eat here.

2 Thank sc1009
Rome, Georgia
“Food was excellent! Best hushpuppies ever!”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Wife and I were visiting family and decided to try Gilligan's and glad we did. The service and food were great! The wife had crab legs and I had flounder. We recommend both. The hushpuppies were the best I've ever eaten and I have eaten a lot. Our waitress was Caitlin and she did a super job. Ask for her and you won't be disappointed! Yes recommend Gilligan's.

Ashland, Virginia
“Good Seafood and Service on the Canal”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Eating a meal at Gilligan's Seafood Restaurant is a tradition on every trip to Moncks Corner. It is hidden away on the Tail Race Canal on a little road that is adjacent to the Sunoco Station. The food and service are good and the prices are reasonable.

When you sit down, you are given a basket of hot hush puppies, which are crusty on the outside, and chewy on the inside. They are addictive and you will be asking for more.

The menu is pretty expansive and they serve lunch every day until 4 p.m. The luncheon specials are a good deal, as you get a loaded plate of the entree of your choice, plus two sides. They have a lot of traditional Southern favorites, such as fried okra, fried green tomatoes. catfish, grits, as well as seasonal and chef's specials.

My latest entree consisted of a combination platter of fried shrimp and fried scallops. I had fried okra and cole slaw as sides. The cole slaw is exceptionally good. The coating on the fried fish and okra was a big flaky, so it was falling off -- my only complaint. The shrimp and scallops were perfectly cooked.

The food at Gilligan's is good and when you order everything fried, it tends to taste the same. But you have a lot of other choices, including pastas, grilled and broiled entrees.

This is a solid place to choose for lunch or dinner and they are very accommodating to large crowds.