Shallow Minded Inshore Charters with Capt. Mark Dickson
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife booked with Capt. Mark about a month in advance for our kids and myself. My sons are inexperienced, but enthusiastic fishermen (which I relayed to Capt. Mark) and she hoped this would be the highlight of their Myrtle Beach vacation. The night before the fishing trip she called Capt. Mark to confirm. When we arrived the next morning, Capt Mark pleasantly greeted us and we boarded his new boat. Shortly thereafter we set out to catch our bait prior to fishing. Little did I know that this would be the highlight of the trip.

For whatever the reason, the fish were not biting much that day. Capt. Mark did take us to other areas, but we had very little success (2 flounders). About halfway through the trip it became apparent that Capt. Mark was more preoccupied with his new boat rather than his guests. Even though I mentioned to him my sons' fondness for fishing, I felt they would have gotten more attention if we went on a trip with 50 other people, which we've done in the past, than what they received from Capt. Mark. The rest of the trip yielded no success and we headed back to the marina.

To top it off, back at the marina, Capt. Mark was more concerned about "settling up" than whether we had a good time. I thought we had paid via credit card, when my wife booked the trip but apparently he said he mentioned to her that it was "cash only". She could not recall from a month ago, but he did not mention it the night before and I could not find that information on his website. He told us where some ATMs were, but did not apologize for any possible confusion. He followed us to an ATM and I paid him what was agreed upon, but I will make sure my family, that lives part-time in the area, and friends that visit will never use his service.

Captain Mark does not care. Spend your money elsewhere.

7  Thank BillW22
captmarkdickson, Owner at Shallow Minded Inshore Charters with Capt. Mark Dickson, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2011

Unfortunately the fish don't bite everyday, thus the reason it's called fishing not catching. I really wish this guest would have complained to me at the end of his trip so I could have tried to come to some agreement to make him happy. I do recall him being somewhat frustrated but felt it was because of the lack of communication between he and his wife about the payment option. I do care and anyone not completely satisfied with their trip please let me know before you leave the dock and I will do what I can to make it right.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

The trip was amazing !!! We called Capt Mark to set up a charter and he quickly had Capt Greg call us back, and in no time set up a trip. Capt Greg, with Shallow Minded Inshore Charters, knew the waters like the back of his hand. His experience of over 40 years in the area made for interesting conversation during the trip. The boat was clean and well kept, perfect for in-shore fishing. He wanted to catch fish as much, if not more, than us. We caught numerous fish throught-out the afternoon, but the main attraction were the reds. I caught my first red fish. it was at least 28 inches adn about 10 lbs. What a great experience !!

1  Thank anablack
Reviewed June 30, 2011

For many years we have enjoyed ourselves fishing in Myrtle Beach under the superb guidance and friendship of Capt. Mark Dickson. And once again he did not disappoint. Our trip this year was as greart as always: a comfortable safe boat,well equipt for inshore fishing, a knowledgeable guide who put us on the fish and gave us the opportunity to catch a large variety of the finest fish offered by the Myrtle Beach Inshore fishery. And a great shot at the Mytle beach Grand Slam (Ask Capt. Mark)!
Bring a hat, some sun glasses, a cool bottle of water or two, some sunscreen and be prepared to have a great time! Thanks again Capt. Mark. We"ll be back in Oct. and next June.

2  Thank srvkws
Reviewed June 23, 2011

June 23, 2011. Enjoyed a great day on the water with my 11 year old son with Capt. Mark. I couldn't wait for my son to feel the power of a big red on the line. Capt. Mark had him hooked up with a Monster Red within 5 minutes of dropping his hook in the water. The smile on my sons face was priceless. Thanks to Capt. Mark we had a wonderful time catching fish and learning more about inshore fishing. If you are looking for a charter captain that keeps the client first, and is very patient with kids.... Shallow Minded Inshore Charters with Capt. Mark is for you. I'm looking forward to becoming a regular client in the future. Thanks again Capt. Mark. Hope to see you again in the fall.

MJC

2  Thank NCmark33
Reviewed April 13, 2011

April 9th Fishing flooded grass flats for redfish in beautiful Little River SC. Capt Mark is very professional and knows what he is doing, the fish never knew we were there until the hook was set.

Even though the weather forecast couldn't have been more wrong, Capt. Mark was able to put us on the fish and provided a great learning and catching experience.

Anyone can take you fishing, it takes knowledge, experience, and committment to put you in a situation to Catch fish.

I would recommend Capt. Mark Dickson to anyone and look forward to future guided trips with Shallow Minded Inshore Charters, he has the equipment to provide any type of inshore experience you are looking for.

JKH