“Good service, good food, but.....”

stevens roasted oysters restaurant
Ranked #25 of 71 Restaurants in Little River
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This restaurant is easy to find and apparently popular with locals. The manager of the place we rented recommended it, so we gave it a try. When we come to the ocean, usually once a year, we like to eat fried seafood - the only time of year we do so. So, I usually get the equivalent of a "Captain's Platter", a little bit of everything. My wife likes just the fish and fries.

First,the good...
1. The service was great and very friendly. No problems there.
2. Portions were good.
3. The food was not greasy, and the restaurant did not smell that way, either.
4. For the most part, the food was good, but not exciting.

Now, the not-so-good...
1. Forget the fries!! Totally tasteless. Probably just frozen fries that are just heated. They required lots of vinegar just to make them edible.
2. Here's where my wife and I would disagree. She likes very mild fish, so she was quite happy. For my part, I found it quite tasteless. I couldn't really tell that I was eating fish. I like at least a LITTLE flavor.

All in all, not a bad place, but nothing really exciting....

3  Thank PANeddie

Reviewed November 17, 2013

It is interesting to me that a lot of reviews before me don't mention the oysters served at Stevens Oyster Restaurant. This is one of the main reasons that locals go to Stevens.
The restaurant is not fancy....wear your jeans and prepare to get your hands dirty shucking a full bowl of medium roasted oysters which is plenty for two. The oysters last night were very full in size and flavor. One of our party had the broiled scallops instead of oysters and gave them a great review. We shared a basket of hush-puppies and onion rings which were perfectly cooked. This is low-country cooking at it's best.
Our waitress was very friendly, gave good recommendations on portion sizes, cleared the table of oyster shells periodically and generally made us feel welcome and cared-for.
No alcohol served here but full range of soda and, of course, ice tea which is the perfect accompaniment for this kind of casual meal. We left feeling like we not only had a great meal but had a lot of fun shucking the oysters and generally making a mess of things!

4  Thank Trainmodeller
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had a party of three, and each of us was disappointed in the quality of the seafood here. One had flounder and found it so mushy that she could not eat it. I had a salad, fresh and crisp, but the salad dressings are in plastic packets and are horrible! The shrimp were very heavily battered and not particularly flavorful. Prices are awfully steep considering the food quality and the atmosphere. One can forgive a lot if the food is good...it just wasn't!

3  Thank Kathy W
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My brother and his family visited with me and wanted to go to a restaurant for seafood. I had been to Stevens before so I took them there. Everyone was quite pleased with the food and service. Speaking of my own dinner I had broiled flounder with clam strips. I also had a New England Clam Chowder. The food was excellent and the chowder was to die for. Yes, the restaurant does not have a cozy atmosphere but we were there for the food. Be aware they do not serve alcoholic beverages - soda and sweet tea only. I've never been disappointed with Stevens.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Group of 19 for diner 6/18. Seated within 15 minutes. Great crab legs. 1 1/2 pounds in order, comes with salad, fries or potatoe. Husband had fried seafood platter and was quite happy with. Nothing fancy just good food

2  Thank PaKevin